New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Charged?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I got charged while hunting squirls sunday. It was a sow with a bunch of little ones. It was a good thing that there were some trees around. She had us up there for about 10min till all the little ones were gone. The only other time I have been charged was where I shot the one in the pic I posted. He droped 20yrd from where he was shot but his 2 budies came after me. They got about half way to me when they relized that their friend was no longer with them.

Ray

Posts: 187 | Location: USMC | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tweesdad, they are 'dangerous' in that a boar your weight can kill you, and like most things if given no escape may try to do so.

One actually getting a peice of someone is rare, though can happen.The guys dogging obviously get closer to the action and occasionally lose dogs as mentioned above.

Any rifle above the varmint calibres will kill them- thousands are taken here with 223's and 22-250's, though not widely recommended.

Your 45-70 will smash them down. Ask PC over on the Australian forum about his 45-70, as he has taken several thousand head of game.

Also , don't use BB shot unless you are real close

I had to clear a raiding boar from a friends banana farm a while back.It only came out at night so we had to spotlight it. I shot it at 40 yards or so with 1 & 7/8 oz of BB which was my mistake as I had one barrel loaded for smaller game.

We followed it up amongst the banana plants,exciting stuff, but had lost it.My brother killed it at night a few weeks later with the 375.

Karl.

Posts: 3532 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On my first hog hunt the two companions to the boar I shot stood their ground and popped their tusks at me. The guide got a little nervous and told me to keep an eye on them. They left after a few moments and took off over the hill.

Apparently they were intent on venting their displeasure on someone, because a few minutes later another party from over that same hill somewhere got charged. A guide shimmied up a tree and called us on his walkie-talkie. He wanted to kill a little time until the boars left from underneath the tree.

It does happen but not all that often ( so I'm told ) just enough to make it a bit exciting. It doesn't take a cannon to put them down, but get that first shot into the heart/lungs. I've had to finish one off after a less-than-perfect shot with a 45-70.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aloha,

I started a post on July 14, 2004 in this section with basically the same question and received great input from the members. You may wish to check post # 721240.

As a professional pig shooter, I get to whack pigs every two weeks during the summer. On each trip, at least one of my hunters gets attacked. Fortunately, no one got hurt. Last week, we were night shooting. I hit a medium sized boar and only busted his right leg. The boar did a piroet and charged another shooter's light 75 feet away even though he could have run in any direction. The pig was put down by the attacked shooter with a wheelgun at 10 feet. Another hunter shot at a running pig and missed. The pig stopped, turned and came at the hunter who killed it with a handgun at his feet.

Getting attacked always adds to the excitement, as long as no one gets hurt.

Geoff

Posts: 620 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote