Find
Notify
Tools

Day after Christmas Hog Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Warhawk
posted
My youngest son was home over the holidays, we killed a couple of hogs at the Langley Ranch near Centerville. We had been hog hunting before, but this was the first time either of us had killed one. We're both hooked!

My son wanted to try hog hunting while he was home from the USAF Academy for Christmas. So I booked us a hunt at the Langley Ranch near Centerville (Texas).

Mine is a 175 pound sow

His is a 198 pound boar

We both used Remington 700s in .30-06. Ammo was Federal blue box 180 grain Soft Point.

I shot the sow under the ear and it was DRT. His first shot on the boar was high on the shoulder, the bullet penetrated the gristle plate and put a 3/4 inch hole in the spine, but apparently missed the spinal cord. The boar went down and spun around on the shoulder, but jumped up and took off. I saw it three times (couldn't get a clear shot) and it didn't appear to have any problems getting around. He shot it again, between the eye and ear, that did the trick.

The freezer is FULL!!!

Posts: 59 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice hogs. Some of my most fond memories are from hunting with my father. It'll be something that you both cherish.

Posts: 132 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
A wonderful hunt with family. And I must do that one day. Looks like February of 08 at this point. Nice dental work on that boar! Packy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great hogs ! Just finished a hog hunt with my two sons. Both are young, but are hooked on hunting hogs.

There is no better way to spend time with family than in the field.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like you and your son had a great time. We hunt about ten miles north of there and there are plenty of hogs in the whole county.

Congratulate your son for us, as very few are accepted to the USAF Academy.

Posts: 203 | Registered: 09 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Warhawk
posted Hide Post
Thanks, We're pretty proud of him, and his brother who is also in the USAF.

Here is his first elk, in Colorado in October

And on a more serious day, his acceptance as an upperclassman at USAFA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great hogs, glad you guys had a good hunt to share.

How's he like it up here in the snow this week?? hehe! They hand out snow shovels and put them to work??

Is he doing any shooting while up here?
I belong to a dandy range about 50 miles south of the AFA. Have him contact me if he wants, maybe we could take him shooting on a warmer day.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5958 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Warhawk
posted Hide Post
He hasn't gone back to the Academy yet. He's up in Kansas this week, visiting family up there.

I asked if the cadets had to shovel snow after that first blizzrd, he said they didn't.

I'll pass this along to him, but he has very little free time.

Thanks ... Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim:
Ok.
Just read your bullet post on my shield thread.

In '02 I shot a cow elk @ 200yds with a 180gr core lokt from my .300Winnie.
It knocked her down, the hillside was real steep and 16" of snow on it. She slid over half way down before stopping the slide.

Then got up and took off. I'd hit just right, maybe 6" high, but, right behind the shoulder on the ribs.
That bullet blew up on the surface.
How many head of elk have been killed with 180gr Corelokts over the last 50 years?? That was far enough out it should have gone clear thru no matter what angle it hit. Let alone broadside lung shot.

I've gone to Sierra's 200gr BTSP now but, haven't had a shot since. Only made it twice since and no game either year.

I've wondered why so many on here come up with taking the really big guns for such a small animal. Seems like a .243 should be more than enough for something that won't weigh over 350#. But, after reading about and seeing those pictures maybe there's plenty of reason to use them.

Thanks much,

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5958 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Great way to spend the holidays! beer

Congrats on the fine hogs!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Warhawk
posted Hide Post
George, If I'm going to have to blood trail a critter, I want blood leaking out BOTH SIDES <G>.

Next time we shoot hogs I'll be better prepared. The other gun we brought that day was a .308 loaded with handloads using a 180 grain Speer Grand Slam. I think that one might have done better.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
After having a 180gr COrelokt blow up on the ribs of a cow elk at 200yds.

I've gone to Sierra's 200gr BTSP.
Thats in my .300 WinM. May just take that thing along on the hog hunt too.

Will be wearing Ruger .45 LC with heavies.

snow's meltin around town Jim. IF that kids still in Kans, tell him to ring me, or come by on his way to the AFA. Be nice to meet him.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

One of Us
Picture of Warhawk
posted Hide Post
I just sent him an email. I think school started back up today.

I will be using my .45-70 next time, I hadn't sighted in a new scope or I would have taken it this last time.

I also have a .44 Mag carbine (Browning B92) that should do well on hogs.