New
Find
Notify
Tools

South Texas hog hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Took this hog (my first one) a week ago near a small town called Campbellton south of San Antonio at Tom Ranch.
This was the only pig of any size I seen in two days of hunting. The area there was very dry and the pigs were really bushed up. We were hunting from blinds set up near feeders, being from Arizona I had never hunted this way so it was a different experience for me.
I got this boar at 125 yards with my 45-70 300 grain soft points and to my surprise it took two good hits for him to stay put, the first one was in the neck which knocked him down but he started to get up and I put one in the shoulder, that was a mistake as the shoulder plate apparently turned the bullet and it exited mid hog, first time I ever had to clean an animal I gut shot, but it did take out the aorta on its way through. An interesting note, the hide on the shoulders and back was a full inch thick. He had worn this tusks down to about an inch long so I assume he was an older hog. He weighed 200 pounds, I think that 10 pounds of that was fleas, he was loaded with them.
I had been up since 4 am that morning and did not get back in until 9 that night so my expression is I am whooped.
I am now hooked on hog hunting just need to find another place to hunt and a little time off.
The photos are attached I have not figured out how to post them directly on the site.
The rifle is a 45-70 I built a couple of years ago from a SMLE action I had.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y44/RollandH/45-70/DSCN2444.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y44/RollandH/45-70/100_0307.jpg

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Nice pig -- thanks for posting. The dry weather does have a big effect on the pigs. Hopefully we will get some big rains this spring.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Great hog Rolland. My son and son in law gave me a hog hunt for my birthday. Just got back this morning. I'm from Arizona also. I had a great time. Cant wait to try it again. I cant figure out how to post pictures so you are ahead of me.
Jon in Tucson

Shoot Straight and Vote!

Posts: 49 | Location: Tucson , AZ | Registered: 06 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Good on ya. The 45-70 is my favorite on hogs. I was over in Texas a month or so ago with my Marlin. I load the Nosler 300 grain partition.
In Tucson at the moment, heading back to Pinetop in a week or so. I hope your hog meat is as good as mine have been.
cheers

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Rolland,
Thanks to Dustoffer I have a link to put up a picture of our recent hunt.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a276/dustoffer/Picture008.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a276/dustoffer/Picture012.jpg
Jon in Tucson

Shoot Straight and Vote!

Posts: 49 | Location: Tucson , AZ | Registered: 06 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like you hit the jackpot, thats a nice bunch. Where did you hunt?, thats more hogs than we seen in two days of hard hunting.

NRA life member
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jon In Tucson:
Rolland,
Thanks to Dustoffer I have a link to put up a picture of our recent hunt.
Jon in Tucson

Nice pig and it looks like it was some good country.

Just for everyone's convenience, here are the pictures:

Rolland:

Jon in Tucson:

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charles
How did you do that??? I mean put the photos on the site.

NRA life member
NRA Golden Eagles member

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolland:
Charles
How did you do that??? I mean put the photos on the site.

In the post or reply box, you insert the image URL/address in the box you get when you click the "image" button -- the second from the right at the top of the reply box, it has a picture of mountains. I understand that some image hosts give you the code you can copy instead -- it would look somthing like [img] http://www.imageurl.com/image.jpg [/img].

You could paste that directly into your message.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
Hopefully we will get some big rains this spring.
rotflmo

Oh man my fingers are crossed. And my toes. I bet we have a droughtbuster right around the corner.

Posts: 470 | Location: Texas/NYC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rattlesnaker:
rotflmo

Oh man my fingers are crossed. And my toes. I bet we have a droughtbuster right around the corner.

How are you walking with your toes crossed? clap

I think a large tropical depression is needed to fill in the stock tanks, or the left-over bit of a Pacific hurricane (one which goes through a entirely unpopulated area first, preferably).

posted Hide Post
quote:
Looks like you hit the jackpot, thats a nice bunch. Where did you hunt?, thats more hogs than we seen in two days of hard hunting.

Rolland,
We were hunting on a small ranch near Cotulla, TX. We saw plenty of hogs, and more white tail deer than I see in five seasons in Southern Arizona. Just had some fried backstrap for supper. Yum!
Jon In Tucson

Shoot Straight and Vote!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I got this boar at 125 yards with my 45-70 300 grain soft points and to my surprise it took two good hits for him to stay put....

Nice hog, & looks like you made a couple of friends to boot!

Care to share the specifics of that load? Thanks in advance.

Regards - GCF
"Sometimes you make eight - Sometimes you hit dirt"

Posts: 287 | Location: Corpus Christi, TX | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
gcf
I used factory Federals 300 grain soft point, they seem to group best in this rifle. I have not worked up a hand load. But since they consistanly group with in one inch I may forgo hand loads for this rifle.
I did have a lot of help dressing out the hog, both cats got buried in the gut bucket a couple of time but they didn't seem to mind. They just worked their way back to the top. Would have made a great video.

NRA life member
NRA Golden Eagles member

one of us
posted Hide Post
By Golly Jon-

I think I've got it!!!! This is the other pic of you with "Blondie".

Dustoffer

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Nice work Roland!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dustoffer:
By Golly Jon-

I think I've got it!!!! This is the other pic of you with "Blondie".

Dustoffer

OH Oh, Now my face is exposed for the entire cyber world to behold! I hope I don't crack too many monitors.

Jon In Tucson

Shoot Straight and Vote!