New
Find
Notify
Tools

The things you see when you don't have a gun
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
SHiiiiiiiiiiT!!!! I had to shift some heifers this morning..... decided to take all my dogs for a run. I'm walking along, head down when I catch a movement 80 meters in front of me. I look up and quickly dive on my pigdog bitch, theres a boar of 160-200 pound happily strolling along, the other dogs are getting exited, and I look around and see my eyedog streaking across the paddock. I bully all the others, my two duck dogs and the huntaway in behind and scrag the pigdog but can only watch Jay do a perfect cast and storm in on him. At 20 meters the boar realises somethings up and spins round to face her, shes not a pig dog and hesitates, the boar raises himself up and seems to visiably grow in size then leaps forward in a stifflegged charge. I don't have any weapon, not even a knife, but the battle instinct is growing hard to bare, and I nearly let Tina go (once in my life I would of taken the challenge and fought him to a stream or broken a treebranch and clubbed him.) but all I visuallise is dead dogs, so hold on.
Jay looks my way and I call her back, which she readily obeys, and the boar decides hes had enough and hot foots it to safety.
i'm cursing my luck, as I was hopeing to be up there hunting tonight. Will still go, but don't think he'll show any time soon.

Posts: 4605 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Really great story and interesting scenario.

Even though most of the U.S. is not quite that rural, I rarely ever leave the hiouswe without a gun in close reach.

My problem deals more with the legalities of taking a shot when presented with a situation even remotely similar to yours.

Sounds like you did an excellent job of keeping the dogs from getting into something they might not have been able to handle, and it also sounds like you have some good dogs that have been trained to follow the orders they receive.

Many Thanks for the story. beer beer thumb

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cheers Crazyhorse. I went back up with my bow this evening. Crept up to 10 meters of this guy and took the photo with my little 3xzoom pocket camera, then crept away again as i'm after something bigger.

Posts: 4605 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Beautiful country and a nice looking pig. beer

Best of Luck on your next outing. beer thumb

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Things you see when you do not have a gun???

I do not know what that is like, as I have not been without a gun since the 8th grade. BOOM

With the exception of a few plane flights. thumbdown

However I ALWAYS had a gun or three in the baggage compartment. Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote