New
Find
Notify
Tools

This is so annoying, yet so inspirational
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So, I am driving home from work today, and what do I see in almost downtown Tampa? A cute little piggie all black scrounging on the side of the highway! And those suckers know they are all safe cause you cant have your vehicle stopped on the side of the road for more than 5 min before a city cop pulls up to see if youre okay.

I then went home, and got a bunch of work done to the stock for my swamp stomper. This fall the piggies are in trouble. Not to mention the corn is still fermenting in the back yard.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Gixxer -- downtown Tampa! Wow! I lived in Tampa a few years ago but usually drove a couple hours south to hunt hogs. Too bad shooting hogs in downtown Tampa wouldn't go over too well!!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:
Gixxer -- downtown Tampa! Wow! I lived in Tampa a few years ago but usually drove a couple hours south to hunt hogs. Too bad shooting hogs in downtown Tampa wouldn't go over too well!!

Especially after the "pig movies" Smiler.

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

Posts: 808 | Location: N. FL | Registered: 21 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gixxer:
So, I am driving home from work today, and what do I see in almost downtown Tampa? A cute little piggie all black scrounging on the side of the highway! And those suckers know they are all safe cause you cant have your vehicle stopped on the side of the road for more than 5 min before a city cop pulls up to see if youre okay.

I then went home, and got a bunch of work done to the stock for my swamp stomper. This fall the piggies are in trouble. Not to mention the corn is still fermenting in the back yard.

Take a gunny sack to put the pig in if you are asked tell them you are going to relocate the poor little pig but don’t tell them it will be on your barbeque.

Good luck this fall

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This country has a big problem with pigs, and it is going to get worse... I live in Angleton, TX, roughly 35 miles sw of Houston, and fifteen miles from the Gulf of Mexico. Our salt marsh is infested with pigs. I have found their tracks around the edges of saltwater bays, and the rootings are common along the highways near where I live.

About a month ago a friend and I were headed into Houston to attend a gun show. We found a dead boar, roughly 150#, dead in the center of the highway, well inside the city limits and within half a mile of an apartment complex.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Swede44mag:
quote:
Originally posted by gixxer:

Take a gunny sack to put the pig in if you are asked tell them you are going to relocate the poor little pig but don’t tell them it will be on your barbeque.

Good luck this fall

I had contemplated a bowhunt, even worked out the logistics of dropoff and pickup, a cell phone, and a potato sack. but, I looked harder at his/her home turf today. That piggie is occupying the thickest acre of jungle I have ever seen! thats probably why he/she is living there.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seen em again today, I need to get a picture.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
gixxer -- took 3 hogs this weekend in Palmdale (about 2.5 hours from Tampa)......full report to follow this evening.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bet there are some areas around TIA and the Howard Franklin that could hold some pigs. Also, the mangroves swamps near Macdill, but guess you would need someone to get you on Macdill? I have seen pigs on I-275N near where the 70mph zone starts leaving Tampa. Pigs are amazingly adaptive animals Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am stationed at Macdill, and there are piggies that live on the south golf course. I have seen em from time to time playin golf, but that place is pretty much a wildlife sanctuary. I expect to see em when I go out to lose a few golf balls. Very adaptive for sure.

One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
Our pig problem here is so bad that they are invading subdivisions to root in the damp manicured lawns with sprinkler systems. A good friend of my parents just build a fancy half million dollar home and spent a fortune on landscaping only to have a bunch of hogs root it up. The problem is the city won't let you shoot them inside the city limits, so one of their sons has been trying to hunt them with his bow.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Jeff, that would be inspiration enough for me to take up bow hunting! Can you imagine the looks on the neighbors' faces when you start gutting the hog on the front lawn! jumping

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Word. I sure would do that if I had piggies in my back yard. FOR SURE.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey gixxer----------Tell me the truth now---------if you really saw those pigs playing golf----------how do they hold the club with their hooves, and how far can they drive a golf ball?

Posts: 356 | Location: pueblo, Co. USA | Registered: 01 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigluke:
Hey gixxer----------Tell me the truth now---------if you really saw those pigs playing golf----------how do they hold the club with their hooves, and how far can they drive a golf ball?
HA HA, 7 posts and we have a jokester!! dancing JK, seems that you lurk moreso than post.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey gixxer, I'm just jealous!!!! You live in wild pig country-you get to hunt them often-and you see them while playing golf too. Thats the best of both worlds! Come on out and hunt up an elk sometime. Cheers, Luke

Posts: 356 | Location: pueblo, Co. USA | Registered: 01 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I actually have a pig hunt booked in Texas, as well as a Javalina hunt. Just waiting 47 more days to get retired from my "real job" to spend more time afield. Did'nt get a warthog in 2005 while in Africa. Going back this Sept. Hope to get warthog and as always, one hopes to get a chance at Bushpigs. I love pig hunting. Maybe after retiring, I can get to Fla. to hunt up a big old Florida Boar. I have thought it would be cool to hunt hogs in all the states that have huntable populations, but a guy might end up with way too many hog mounts on the wall. Luke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The piggies are all over the place, but you know how it works. They are everywhere but where you are tryin to get em.