New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hawaiian Pig Hunt...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Many of you have been waiting for my pics of my hunt the other day...

We managed to bag a couple pigs and a good-looking Ram.

Check my post on American Big Game Hunting, under "Our 2nd Hunt Ever"...

Sorry, but I did not want to repost here 'cause it was a bit lengthy...

Aloha,

Roland

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Come on Roland, post some photos here! We are your hog hunting brethren!!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:
Come on Roland, post some photos here! We are your hog hunting brethren!!

You got it...WW...I know you've been waiting for this hunt too, thanks my friend!!!

My son and I just returned from our hunting trip on the Big Island of Hawaii. It is only our 2nd Hunting Trip ever...

With our friend/guide we managed to take three beautiful animals on this trip for a total of 8 animals in two months of hunting. A few of you have asked me why my username is Late-Bloomer, well I celebrated my 46th Birthday on this hunt a couple days ago, and I gotta make up for LOST TIME....

I shot my 2nd Black Hawaiian Mouflon-Hybrid Ram on this trip with a Savage 30-06 150GR Winchester Power-Point @ 125 yards, slightly quartering-away, ONE-SHOT DRT.

Later, that same evening my son, Joshua shot his first pig ever....It was a barred pig weighing a plump 150+lbs. He shot it with a Remington 700BDL 243W using Federal 100GR Power-Shok @ 135 yards, straight-on chest shot, DRT.

The next evening, we spot and stalked this 200+lbs. "Monster Barred Pig" for about 500 yards up the mountain range...Physically, I almost didn't make it...A bum-knee and a bad-smoking habit didn't help me at a chilly 5000ft above sea-level. I was lagging behind my friend and son a good 20 yards on the stalk. I kept pushing myself! The next thing you know after what seemed a good hour of this brisk stalk, the small herd were making their way up another ridge. My friend said I need to make the shot now as I hurried the last few feet to the edge of our side of the ridge.

I literally fell down on my rifle gasping for air as he was whispering excitedly, the last one, the last one, HIT the last one! I looked with my two eyes as I lined up my scope. I saw that MONSTER move up in the herd as soon as I was getting my cross-hairs on him. They had made us out and were taking off! I had only a second or two to make the shot before they cleared the ridge...I gasped for one last BIG BREATH of AIR...And exhaled a bunch of it...Held the last of it, and when he was clear my trigger broke like glass. I drilled him at a good 225 yards with my Savage 30-06. He took several more strides up the dirt trail and my friend said HIT him again! Hit him again! I racked in another one and got him in my cross-hairs just as he hit the ground hard and tumbling over...I HIT him hard again, for insurance, revenge, and satisfaction for that treacherous stalk.

From the moment I reached the edge of the ridge and laid out over my rifle in total exhaustion and fatigue, sighted him in my scope, and broke the trigger, it was only three seconds at the most...Talk about EXCITEMENT....Incredibly Awesome! I'll never be the same...

My friend and son celebrated with me for a minute, then made their way to this Monster. My friend yelled back over to me,that his tusks were 4 inches long. He was a little over 200lbs. and about a 1 1/4" of his tusks were broken on both sides. My friend told me that he can easily see that his tusks were 5 1/4" each.

The hunt was just too exciting...The exhilaration was incredible! I will never forget this hunt, simply AWESOME...Now I know why HUNTERS hunt....

Never before, after 30 years of smoking cigarettes, am I MORE COMMITTED than ever to QUIT right now!!! I want to HUNT 'til the GOOD LORD takes me HOME...ALOHA

Posts: 94 | Location: Honolulu, Hawaii | Registered: 24 February 2007

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Roland, fantastic! Thank you so much for posting here -- no one appreciates hog hunting like the folks on this forum! thumb

Awesome teeth on that last hog! Wow!! Hawaii seems to produce the toothiest (is this a word?! Big Grin) hogs!

You must be proud of your boy -- that's a fine hog he shot as well! The ram is a fine animal too!

Good time to quit smoking, my friend! Oh, and "Late Bloomer", it is definitely better late than never!! Congrats on the great hunt!

beer clap

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Howzit, my buddy....

Yep, I am really proud of my son...He waited a whole 2 months since seeing my first boar w/ 3" tusks on our last trip, remember that one...I have never been the same since then...

Joshua wanted one really bad and I wanted one for him REALLY BAD too.

We saw a really heavy 2 1/2" tusked boar about 5 minutes earlier, but he caught wind of us and took off into the dense cover in a flash, he never had a shot at him...But, then about 75 yards away a threesome popped-out into a clearing and he and my friend stalked them for about 70 yards. He laid out his bipod in the darkness and drilled the biggest one in the bunch clean at 135 yards, DRT.

I was so proud of him and I think my smile in the picture with him says it all...I know he wanted 'pearl', but we are learning that this is all a part of hunting....You take the best you can, when you can, however you can cleanly! He dispatched this animal in an instant!

After all was said and done, his face says it all!!!

He is a very PROUD young man to have taken this meat wagon, bar-none!!! pun intended... clap

We've been BLESSED with these two incredible hunting trips...And we will plan many more together...he's the only hunter buddy I got...so we depend on one another alot and its been an incredible experience thus far.

We are really having a "BLAST"....

And like you said, It's better LATE than NEVER...

Stay in touch my friend and go gettem'....

Aloha,

Roland

P.S. When is your next planned hunt???

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Man, those are some wicked looking hogs! I would be keeping my local taxidermist in business if I lived over there!

I think that I'm going again in the Fall. It's just too hot right now in Florida, but I'm thinking October. We've started planning, but haven't set any dates yet. I obviously need to head your way one of these days for a hunt!! Wow!!

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of greghud
posted Hide Post
roland,
i see the power points worked Big Grin
congrats on the hunt, exelent work.
sometimes we all need a kick up the pants, to see what the important things in life are, i bet running down your next pig with your boy by your side, will be a better memory than the discomfort of having to give up the smokes thumb
great photos, i bet your son will want to take his son up a mountain to get his first pig. with a smile on his face as is now on yours.
well done
greg

Posts: 383 | Location: top end oz | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Late-Bloomer:
With our friend/guide we managed to take three beautiful animals on this trip for a total of 8 animals in two months of hunting.

8 trophies in 60 days? Game must be few and far between.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
quote:
Originally posted by Late-Bloomer:
With our friend/guide we managed to take three beautiful animals on this trip for a total of 8 animals in two months of hunting.

8 trophies in 60 days? Game must be few and far between.

Sorry for confusing you....Maybe I should have said we have taken only two hunting trips in 60 days and have bagged 3 animals on this trip and 5 animals on our previous.....thank you dancing

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Awesome story and pictures!

congrats

Justin

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WW-Good luck on your hunt 'cause October will be here before we know it...and thanks for your replies...... Cool

Greg-Yep, we had a great hunt... in fact when I have some time I'll PM you with more details...
This really gives me GREAT INCENTIVE to quit the smokes as you said...BTW, the Win. P-P just arrived for our 270's....all 1000 of them, the bulk rate was pretty darn good and I recovered the 30-06 bullet from my ram...I'll weigh and send you pic, the the performance of the bullet was awesome on all 8 animals...Aloha

I pray that this level of fascination, anticipation, excitement, and exhiliration will stay with us forever....May we never take the beautiful outdoors and these incredible animals for granted....And may the privilege and the passion to hunt be inscribed indelibly upon the hearts of me and my son forever...We have so much to learn....only a mere 4 days of hunting out of approx. the past 60 days....we have so much more to experience....ALOHA

one of us
posted Hide Post
Aloha Roland,
The passion to hunt rarely leaves. Up to twenty years ago, I was fortunate to have shared many hunts with my son. He is now 38 years old and living on the Big Island of America too busy hoofing it in the business world. Two years ago, he came back to the Islands, just to hunt again together. We did, and enjoyed it immensely.

The memories that you share with your son will forever remain.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 622 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of greghud
posted Hide Post
quote:
I pray that this level of fascination, anticipation, excitement, and exhiliration will stay with us forever....May we never take the beautiful outdoors and these incredible animals for granted....And may the privilege and the passion to hunt be inscribed indelibly upon the hearts of me and my son forever...We have so much to learn....only a mere 4 days of hunting out of approx. the past 60 days....we have so much more to experience....ALOHA

thumb

quote:
I recovered the 30-06 bullet from my ram...I'll weigh and send you pic, the the performance of the bullet was awesome on all 8 animals...Aloha

looking forward to that!
i have a trip in september, looks like comming together. 2 weeks chacing pigs in a remote area of western oz. hopefully i get some pics Cool
all the best
greg

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Two weeks!! Wow, I would love to hunt for two weeks! Look forward to hearing all about it, Greg.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of greghud
posted Hide Post
it needs to be for 2 weeks to be worthwile, its a day and a halfs drive there, so we will have about 10 days on the ground thumb
ps hunting with my brother thumb thumb
see how we go.
greg

one of us
posted Hide Post
ALoha Bradda Ro,

AUUUU"RYTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Bradda I am so proud of you and your son its been a pleasure to get to know you and him. I had fun talking story with you guys down at da range.

I am 110% behind you buddy with your new found motivation to quit smoking. It'll be one of if not the best decision you can make. Not only because of the hunting benefits but also the health ones as well. We need all the years we can get to go hunting...LOL!!! And like the others have said "Late" id better than NEVER!!!

Those are some very fine animals you got there buddy on both of your trips to the big island. And that is one hell of a boar you got there on this last trip YEAH BABY!!! I see you used both eyes to get the line up GOOD JOB!!! After all of that it mustve been SOOOO SWEET to put him down nice shooting as well. If I may suggest next time prop his mouth open with a stick etc so we can get a better look at his hooks Big Grin

As you know ive just begun hunting with my son as well and those memories will last forever theres nothing like it. Unfortunately for me my son just got hurt during football practice so he will be out of hunting for at least a month what a bummer but thats the nature of the game.

Take it easy my bradda and hope to see you guys soon. I know youre sick so wen you get betta let me know wish you and your Ohana a speedy recovery. I got that stock I wanted you to take a look at for me...No rush though wen you get time and since im on light duty for a month I might as well take advantage...LOL!!!

Alohas My Bradda,

Dom

Hunting its not a Hobby its My Way of Life!!!

Posts: 449 | Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by UltraMag:
...next time prop his mouth open with a stick etc so we can get a better look at his hooks [QUOTE]

here you go my bruddah just for you... clap

one of us
posted Hide Post
HA!HA!HA! Right on Bradda Ro much Mahalo's fo da pic clap

Thats a very nice La'ahole you got there buddy and he has some awesome filuhs as well. Going to make a sweet mount if you dont mind my asking whos doing your Taxidermy??? Not sure if I asked you in the past.

Im trying to set up something for us to go and block trail i'll let you know how it goes. Keep up da good work my friend and I wish you all da best in your hunting endeavors.

Take care and Akua Bless,
Dom

Posts: 449 | Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aloha Dom,
I know that you're THE pig hunter here in the islands, but how can you tell from Rolands pic that it's a la'ahole? Or, did I miss something in the earlier posts?

I looked at the pic again and guessed that maybe it's the long eyelashes or the big lips. C'mon, share your secret.

Regards,
Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 622 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Howzit Geoff,

Let me jump in for 'Munsta' if you don't mind...

I used the term barred here on the forum instead of la'ahole for all our other mainland friends for identification....

Aloha,

Roland

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
That's a barr hog down south! Big Grin And some of the best eatin'!

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:
That's a barr hog down south! Big Grin And some of the best eatin'!

There you go WW....

That's the term I was looking for....

Present tense or Past tense, he's a goner now so I thru in the "ed" just to make sure...

I told you I got alot to learn... dancing

I bet you're getting ready for your upcoming hunt in the Fall...its never too early!!!

Aloha,

Roland

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Roland, I'm hoping that my new revolver comes back from Jack Huntington's soon, so that I have time to dial it in and then break it in (it's getting converted from .480 Ruger to .475 Linebaugh!) on the hunt in the Fall! That's why I haven't set a date yet. But I am mentally preparing! Big Grin

You're learning just fine, Roland!! Best of all, you're doing it with your family. Now quit smoking so you can keep up with your son! Big Grin

Semper Fidelis

one of us
posted Hide Post
Aloha Roland and Dom,

Sorry, I did miss the "barr or barred" designation. My apologies.

Now that hurricane Flossie is blowing past the islands, I'm off again tomorrow to whack more porkers on Niihau. The drought is very bad this year. We are just putting the poor critters out of their misery. Most are starving to death.

Geoff

Shooter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roland,
Thank you again for the great story and pictures. I felt as though we were there with you! Your son will never forget those hunts.
Keep up the good work! clap

P.S. I sent you an e-mail back. Wink

Posts: 32 | Location: S.C. | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Congratulations ,boar hunting is one of my favourites sports ,i hunt with dogos dogs ,and knife ,but we are training to hunt from horseback with spears like in the old days of Baden-Powell in India .Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bigt7mm and juan-

Thanks for the congrats ....

I can't wait to try and do this hunt over again smoke-free...

We saw many other large-tusked boars while we were there. Hopefully, they'll be in larger the next time we go...

Safe huntings guys!

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
All of the Hawaiin hogs I've seen are smaller bodied than a lot of mainland hogs, but they seem to have a whole lot more tusk!! Roland, the hogs you have hunted have all been first rate, they don't need to be bigger!!

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
WW,

You are right...

From what I understand by many pig-hunters its are Polynesian breed that's quite small compared to mainland hogs...Most in size range about a 130lbs or so...Yet you hear of much bigger ones all the time...Since we are trophy hunting these pigs on our trips, I gotta at least look for the REAL BIG GUYZ of course...

But, these pigs I saw looked like huge cows on the horizon late that evening...They must have been cut [barr] sometime early in their life, because they were huge....

Same was the case of our 200+ pounder and my son's really young barr pig...

We had a luau for my birthday this past weekend and that was the best pork I've ever eaten in my life... Wink

Aloha,

Roland

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
A proper luau.......I am jealous my friend! Big Grin

Those island hogs are rangier and tougher looking and from what I've heard, they are hell on dogs! The biggest hog I've shot only went 250 lbs and he didn't have teeth anywhere near the ones you've taken!

Happy birthday Roland! clap

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
WW,

Thanks for the congrats...46 years old and only did two hunts, I got a lot of catching up to do...

I just scheduled my 3rd hunt...

We're going to hunt for AXIS DEER on the island of Moloka'i in 2 months...Its our first time for deer...I hope good things will happen for us there...

Aloha

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Roland -- you are definitely on the right path, my friend!

Semper Fidelis

one of us
posted Hide Post
Aloha Guys,

Geoff- I doubt that I am THE pig hunter although I try to hunt as much as possible...LOL! Even though hunting hogs has been my life I still have alot to learn. But yeah Roland mentioned it was a barr hog so thats the reason for me using La'ahole HA!HA! Dont worry my friend been in your shoes and thought the very same thing "Am I missing something" LOL!!! Take it easy and I still wanna get to Ni'ihau on ef these days and help with the culling there it must be pretty bad there like you said due to the drought. You guys getting boars with some ivory though I bet.

Bradda Ro so glad to hear you got hooked up for deer cant wait to see you go.

one of us
Picture of Hauptjager
posted Hide Post
Wow nice pics of some very nice animals! From the background, it looks like you folks stay on the Waimea / Kohala side of the island. ???? I read in the Hilo paper the state is opening up the Ka’u forest reserve for Pig/ mammal eradication; do you know anything about that? In any event, congrats on the kills, and may Akua bless you and yours.

To a point you can never have too much horsepower!
Hauptjager

Posts: 153 | Location: Hilo, Hawaii | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aloha Dom,
Yes, I was kidding you about the "long eyelashes and fat lips" on the la'ahole. However, I also did missed the "barred" description by Roland. The only excuse I have is that I got kicked out of missionary shool.

There is lots of ivory on the island. The once full grown 125 lb. boars were only about half the weight when we put them down. Some could not even run away from us. So, we used a rope and knife to dispatch the animal. The tusks are still there. Next trip in Sept., I'll pick up some of the ivory we left.

Next week, I'm off to the Northern Territories in Australia to whack more pigs and try for a trophy water buffalo. Can't seem to get enough of the porker whacking.

Geoff

Geoff

Shooter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hauptjager:
Wow nice pics of some very nice animals! From the background, it looks like you folks stay on the Waimea / Kohala side of the island. ???? I read in the Hilo paper the state is opening up the Ka’u forest reserve for Pig/ mammal eradication; do you know anything about that? In any event, congrats on the kills, and may Akua bless you and yours.

Yep , we were on that side of the island for the pig hunt for my boar...My sons pig and my ram was down Kealakekua-side...

A few guys mentioned to me about the Ka'u forest preserve, but I don't know any details or anything more about that at the present time...

Thank you very much for the congrats and Safe Hunting to you my friend...

Aloha

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aloha Munsta,

Yep, it was nice getting set-up with Joey and I can't wait for it all to happen for the deer hunt...

I'm looking forward to seeing you on FRIDAY and I'll give you a call real soon before that for the details...

I appreciate your help and Aloha....

Ro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aloha Geoff,

Have a safe trip and a great hunt...Can't wait to hear the stories and see the photos...Go gett'em...

Aloha

Ro

one of us
posted Hide Post
Aloha Roland,
Thanks for the best wishes. When you have a chance, please drop me a PM with your email address so I can send you the pics with some war stories. If you wish to see some show and tell pics of my recent Namibian hunt of plains game and big tom leopard, also advise.

Geoff

Shooter