New
Find
Notify
Tools

12 gauge 3 1/2 magnum 00 Buck
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What is the max range. So far I have killed 2 hogs with my 270. Have a place where I will need to use a shotgun. I have a 835 with extra full turkey choke. 70 - 100 yds..???

Cats have nine lives. Which makes them ideal for experimentation...

Posts: 947 | Location: NYB | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Half of what you think. Use slugs

Posts: 1295 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends on the size of the hogs. Bigger will have to be closer. You might kill a small hog at 40-45 yards. A big boar better be closer maybe a lot closer.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do a penetration test at your chosen range on soft pine before you go after game; I think that you'll be shocked by the results.

My experiences with a 10 gauge with 00 at 20 yards indicates questionable penetration on 1.5" soft pine. Draw your own conclusions.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I would not be surprised if you have trouble consistently and cleanly killing 70 lbers at 40 yards.

Lead balls have incredibly poor ballistic efficiency.

I would highly recommend you pattern the gun at 40 yards and see what you get.

I would also take a pig that you have killed..prop it up against a rock and do a penetration test at 40 yards.

You might be unpleasantly surprised.

Slugs would be much better.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks for replies . I've never used buck shot before, always a rifle or handgun. I will have to make another plan or buy a slug barrel.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Otto,

Call Mossberg and see if they are OK with you shooting slugs from your screwin choke barrel.

If so, put in an imp cyl choke tube and buy a couple boxes of slugs.

Even with just a front bead...I bet you can hold at least a pie plate at 75 yards.

I tested a lot of old beat up 870s with generic slugs and could often shoot a 4 inch group at 50 yards with just a front bead.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
835 is over bored so slugs are a no go.
The problem is where I hunt @ there are grass airstrips (2). The hogs cross back & forth. There is no way I have enough time to put the cross hairs on them.
I just got back from hunting again today. 8 hogs ran across the airstrip as I was still hunting my way out. (60-100lbs.) probably 60 yards away. ( I had been sitting in a ladder stand for 5 hrs).I can't put a feeder near or on the airstrip because there is already a problem of them rooting it up.
I had my .270 with a Leopold 4.5 X 14 cranked down to 4.5 & if you know how fast a hog runs one second they are there & the next gone. They are quick sobs.

I tried sprinkling jello along the ditches hoping to slow them down but it.

I guess my next step is buying a laser designator for my .270 So I can hunt @ night

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OTTOMATIC:
835 is over bored so slugs are a no go.
The problem is where I hunt @ there are grass airstrips (2). The hogs cross back & forth. There is no way I have enough time to put the cross hairs on them.
I just got back from hunting again today. 8 hogs ran across the airstrip as I was still hunting my way out. (60-100lbs.) probably 60 yards away. ( I had been sitting in a ladder stand for 5 hrs).I can't put a feeder near or on the airstrip because there is already a problem of them rooting it up.
I had my .270 with a Leopold 4.5 X 14 cranked down to 4.5 & if you know how fast a hog runs one second they are there & the next gone. They are quick sobs.

I tried sprinkling jello along the ditches hoping to slow them down but it isn't working.

I guess my next step is buying a laser designator for my .270 So I can hunt @ night

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buckshot can and will kill them if you are close enough. Remember, not all buckshot is created equally.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd say 40 yards, max, actually probably closer to 35. You need to pattern your loads to find out. The 3 1/2" buckshot kicks like H&^#@

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swampshooter:
I'd say 40 yards, max, actually probably closer to 35. You need to pattern your loads to find out. The 3 1/2" buckshot kicks like H&^#@

Pattern with 2 3/4 00 buck @ 50yrds all on the center large target of the type that has the 4 smaller diamonds. As far as kick. My 835 is the one which is cameo with the adjustable AR type stock. I didn't enjoy the 3.5 turkey 4X6 duplex
at all.

My concern is energy. Hence 3 1/2.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dixie Slug Tri-Balls III.

http://www.dixieslugs.com/products.html

"Actual shooting tests show the followings patterns at a measured 40 yards – Improved Cylinder Choke @ inside 10” – Extra Full Choke @ inside 7” – Trulock .660” Choke @ inside 5 1⁄2”."
http://www.dixieslugs.com/images/Dixie_Triball_vs.pdf

You might give them a try.

PAPI

Posts: 432 | Location: California | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Why does over boring prevent slugs?

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Why does over boring prevent slugs?

quicker posting link:
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bb...f=2&t=178833&start=0

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J_Zola:
Half of what you think. Use slugs

I agree and think buckshot is unreliable. If it might work, that's not good enough for me. JMHO.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Give James Gates a call at Dixie Slugs about Tri-Ball Buckshot. Tri-Ball was designed for thick cover hog hunting hunting. In my experience 3.5" Dixie Tri-Ball will hold a <5" patterns at 40 yards - at least from my 870 Supermag with a Briley extended Full choke tube.
This is a powerful load - three .60" 320 grain hard cast lead balls @ 1150 fps. For my shotgun the pattern centers right at 2" above point of aim at 40 yards with just the vent rib and bead for a sight.

The 3" Tri-Ball load velocity is 1050 fps.

For what it is worth most 00B pellets run .323" and approximately 50 grains of low antimony swaged lead.

Posts: 106 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 10 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For bait use corn soaked in diesel. They will not only slow down, but will stop and gorge themselves. I would use a skeet choke and Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote. I bet you will get some impressive patterns at 40yds and have plenty of penetration.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RMc:
Give James Gates a call at Dixie Slugs about Tri-Ball Buckshot. Tri-Ball was designed for thick cover hog hunting hunting. In my experience 3.5" Dixie Tri-Ball will hold a <5" patterns at 40 yards - at least from my 870 Supermag with a Briley extended Full choke tube.
This is a powerful load - three .60" 320 grain hard cast lead balls @ 1150 fps. For my shotgun the pattern centers right at 2" above point of aim at 40 yards with just the vent rib and bead for a sight.

For what it is worth most 00B pellets run .323" and approximately 50 grains of low antimony swaged lead.

Given the choice between his tri-ball loads and his slugs, the slugs would be my first choice.

Semper Fidelis

one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks for replies. shot a 6pt buck while hog hunting yesterday. Used .270 with 140gr. SST. 4th kill with SST. 2 deer, 2 hog. All 4 between 100-200 yds.. All dropped in their tracks , all heart shots.
I'm going to try the 00 buck after deer season (2/28).
I'll keep you posted.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might try these bad-boys. Brutal damage @ 25 yards from my cylinder bored riot gun & full penetration of a 5 gallon water pail & all pellets clustered in a pie plate pattern @ 40 yrds

Posts: 467 | Location: Driftless Area of Wisconsin | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:
quote:

Given the choice between his tri-ball loads and his slugs, the slugs would be my first choice.

Those are indeed highly effective - but would require the purchase of a rifled barrel.

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Dear friend i used a lot of buck shot on hogs of every type my advice AVOID THEM they are only usefull at not more than 10 mts .Use slugs ,trust me they dont penetrate ,Ganyana is de accord with me too .We hate buckshot .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would ditch the idea of using any type of "shot" for hogs at almost any distance. I shot one sow at 12-15 yards using OOO buck out of a 3" 12ga. I thing all I did was piss the damn thing off. If a shotgun is a must, almost any kind of slug will do.

Posts: 56 | Location: Kona, Hawaii | Registered: 16 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

IMHO, forget the ND3......

http://forums.accuratereloadin...121067521#4121067521

Get something like the XLR250 Kill light or a variable thereof..........

http://www.elusivewildlife.com...uctsList&iCategory=6

The XLR Kill Light or one of its bretheren will be less than 1/2 the cost of the ND3 laser and I think you'll be much happier. I've killed out to 164 yds. with mine.

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Regarding penetration issues with conventional buckshot ie. 000B, 00B: Pellets of insufficient hardness represent the Number One Problem with most commercial buckshot loads. Indeed, the SAAMI standard for buckshot are based on the use of 0.5% antimonial soft lead for buckshot.

http://www.saami.org/specifica...ons/download/209.pdf

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PAPI:
Dixie Slug Tri-Balls III.

http://www.dixieslugs.com/products.html

"Actual shooting tests show the followings patterns at a measured 40 yards – Improved Cylinder Choke @ inside 10” – Extra Full Choke @ inside 7” – Trulock .660” Choke @ inside 5 1⁄2”."
http://www.dixieslugs.com/images/Dixie_Triball_vs.pdf

You might give them a try.

PAPI

The use of slightly larger hard cast (.602") pellets and a thicker steel shot type wad has reduced the need for tight choke constriction with Dixie Tri-Ball ammo. With current ammo a .660 choke pinches the wad petals and tends to throw one pellet out of the pattern center.

I use a .695 exit diameter Briley extended full choke - this tube has been widely marketed in the South as a "00B Full" choke. My 870 Express patterns Tri-Ball consistently in the <5 inch range at 40 yards with this choke.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hawg wild:
I would ditch the idea of using any type of "shot" for hogs at almost any distance. I shot one sow at 12-15 yards using OOO buck out of a 3" 12ga. I thing all I did was piss the damn thing off. If a shotgun is a must, almost any kind of slug will do.

I would avoid the soft lead thimbles also know as rifled slugs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would avoid the soft lead thimbles also know as rifled slugs.

Many years ago, while shooting at the local dump, I found a piece of multi-laminate bullet-proof glass. It had been shot up some, but was largely intact. As I recall, I emptied a magazine of .380 ammo into it, and watched with delight as the bullets stuck in the top laminate. Next, I pulled out my SPAS-12, and emptied 7 or 8 loads of 00 buck into the glass, with the same result. Feeling somewhat frustrated by the lack of effect, I slipped a couple of slugs into the tube. Much to my surprise, the very first slug slammed a gaping hole through the laminate. I fired a couple more rounds, but the fun was over, as the slugs very nicely destroyed the bullet-proof glass. It may have been "bullet-proof", but it surely wasn't slug-proof.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is not uncommon for pure lead rifled slugs to fragment on light big game, like deer. Such fragmentation, while deadly on deer, may seriously hinder adequate penetration on a large boar hog, particularly if it is hit in the gristle shield.

one of us
posted Hide Post
well I have decided on slugs. but I will use my 11-87 sps which I built into an tactical with 9 shots along with my 21" rifled slug barrel. I might throw a few Dixie tri -balls in the mix
(the reason for question on buckshot was I only had 835 in FL @ the time) so thanks for replies.

http://www.thehighroad.org/arc...dex.php/t-28679.html

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Such fragmentation, while deadly on deer, may seriously hinder adequate penetration on a large boar hog, particularly if it is hit in the gristle shield.

Why in the hell would you shoot the gristle shield? The head is the biggest part of them...

And I seriously doubt pure lead is going to fragment, especially on deer, as its elasticity is something to behold.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doubless:
quote:
Such fragmentation, while deadly on deer, may seriously hinder adequate penetration on a large boar hog, particularly if it is hit in the gristle shield.

Why in the hell would you shoot the gristle shield? The head is the biggest part of them...

And I seriously doubt pure lead is going to fragment, especially on deer, as its elasticity is something to behold.

In thick cover hog hunting, I prefer to rely on firearm/ammo combinations that are capable of penetrating to the vitals of the animal even if shot placement is less than perfect.

A rifled slug is nothing more than a hollow "thimble" of soft lead. I have seen these "slugs" fragment into pieces when used on deer size game. The same fragmentation is seen in ballistic gelatin tests of rifled slugs.

You have apparently confused the terminal performance of solid soft lead bullets or even round balls with the terminal performance of the thin, hollow structure of Foster slugs.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
But the brain isn't necessarily easy to hit despite the size of the head.

Semper Fidelis

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Stay away of buckshot ,for boars you will loose ther best trophies OLD BOARS ,use slugs .I hunt wild boars on daily basis ,and i used any kind of buckshots in tests ,repeat stay away of it ,i ofent found buckshot in the skins of my wild boars by the way i found 38special ,9mms and 22 s too .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whitworth, you are absolutely correct... but I will guarantee you that if you hit the "box" that encompasses the brain area of a hog (and that means NOT the nasal portion of the head...) with anything of substance, you WILL scramble his/her egg. And that includes using something as seemingly ineffective as a .223.

I am sorry, but they just aren't that hard to kill if you can hit a 6" square with any degree of repeatability...

One can also shoot to break the spine right behind the head, with the same results: one dead sus scrofa.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
everbody has a opinion,,,, mine is look at a improved modified choke and use oobuck. at 45 yards the Imod choke gave me better patterns than full or tighter chokes. these were shot out of a benelli super nova 3.5 win OO buk,,,,, but i still perfer a 44mag rifle, just is a little harder to shoot out of a moving pickup at night,,,,khh

Posts: 104 | Location: south of san antonio | Registered: 03 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use 3" mag #4 buckshot for hogs, but I'm shooting 'em under a feeder at 15-25 yds. Lays 'em in the dirt right well. Here's a pic of 5 with 1 shot I killed with a 20-ga #3 buck.

Just got to find a combo your shotgun likes, and don't expect long range kills.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
12 ga buckshot loads are very lethal up close. I have been killing with them nearly 50 years so I think my experiance level is ok. The best I have used are #1 magnums. Seems to fill the case well, 30 caliber diameter pellets,and Peter Capsticks favorite. Smiler

One of Us
Picture of Venture South
posted Hide Post
We shot a bushpig point blank this week.
The shot went in with the wad it was so close. Only just made it to the far shoulder and the pellets lodged in the skin.
My advice would be that anything further than 10 yards should be shot with slugs or a rifle

Specialist Outfitters and Big Game Hounds

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. - Winston Churchill

Posts: 794 | Location: Namibia Caprivi Strip | Registered: 13 November 2012Reply With Quote