Find
Notify
Tools

West Texas Javelina Hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted
A bunch of us headed out near Dryden, Texas for some javelina and fox hunting on a 33,000 acre ranch on the Rio Grande/Rio Bravo.

We hit a little cool spell just right. We were glassing and stalking, sitting on hills overlooking feeders, and driving the roads. We ended up with 9 javelina and 8 grey foxes on the ground.

Bob

My javelina

Some more pics.

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
More pics......

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Beautiful country too.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
Good pics, thanks...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobcat,

I know you guys had a great time and the weather.....
how often do you get temps in the 50's and 60's in the big bend in May. That's some big country out there. Would have very much enjoyed being with ya'll. Looks like ya'll had a ball.
I'm heading back to my lease either Wednesday or Thursday. I had several pix of javelina on my game cam in April. Maybe they are still hanging around. I'd love to get another crack at the big'un I missed.
Best to you and the Posse.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love that country.....good stuff, thanks.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob in Tx: Always enjoy your reports. What kind of light is on your rifle and what distance is it effective?
Keep reporting!

Posts: 1077 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
OMG-That is VRL-1 by Varmint Lights:
http://varmintlights.com/

I also have and use the Wicked Light 400, and Elusive Wildlife XLR-250.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
awesome...made my day to see this! Thanks for posting the pics and story, Bob.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Very nice, Bob! Congratulations!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob,
YOur making me homesick, you can take the boy our of Texas, but you can't take the Texas our of the boy..

I have hunted that Dryden country many times, and I love it...I was raised and I ranched South Marathon bordering the Big Bend Park, its a bit rougher country but it is still desert and I love the desert.

Years ago we shot Javalina for 25 cents each, they were vermin that ate cedar posts and punched plastic pipe water lines. As I recall the put a six months seasn on them in 1950s??? ...Now they have been commercialized and created a needed income for the ranchers, that's a good thing for the Javalina and the rancher, and the Mt. Lions like the deal also.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote