New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smoking whole hog hinds
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I love smoking deer hinds slow cooking for 9 hours. Anyone ever do this with a wild boar hind? I shot a boar a few months ago and trying to consider a good rub or marinade to soak it in and a good wood to smoke. I am not a huge fan of hickory for my deer hinds. Thinking maybe apple.

Posts: 459 | Location: Finksburg, MD | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you like a deer ham, you'll love a wild hog ham. Can't help you if it's a big boar that smells but if not then I smoke 'em over oak, pecan and sometimes a little mesquite. I usually marinate my wild hog in mojo criollo and inject it sometimes

I usually seer it pretty hot 400+ degrees or so at the very beginning to lock in the flavor and juices on the inside and then let the fire drop down to 250 degrees and cook it til its done. Keep those hams moist and it will be falling apart. Some of the best stuff you've ever eaten.

Posts: 470 | Location: Texas/NYC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I take the easy way out and have the processor (Kuby's in Dallas) smoke the hams for me. Just heat them up in the oven without drying them out and they are ready to go. I think I still have one left in the freezer. Cool

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hard to beat Kuby's...but they can't give you the atmosphere of sitting around a BBQ pit with a bunch of friends, a couple cases of beer and fresh smoke billowing out of the pit.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh come on guys. Have someone do it for you?? What kinda hunters are you. Just kidding. I love smoking meat. I have a Weber bullet which has a water pan, so you don't have to worry about it drying out. Just want some good flavor.

Posts: 459 | Location: Finksburg, MD | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Popular smoking woods include ; corn cobs, hickory,mesquite, apple and while not common black birch adds a very nice flavor.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I smoked a hindquarter off a feral hog this past Sunday. I throw them on the smoker and lay the Hickory smoke too them for a couple of hours or so. I then wrap them up tight in aluminum foil and leave them on the smoker slow cooking for a while longer. When done you just pull the bones out by hand as all the meat falls right off of them. In my opinion this is the best wild game there is.

O' yeah, I almost forgot the most important part of the recipe. Just like Rattlesnaker my recipe includes lots of cold beers.

Good smoking!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I gotta agree w/mohawk. I do hinds and shoulders (Tx feral hogs)all the time. The rub I use was acquired from the "Good Morning America"show. I smoke with any hardwood or fruit wood I come across. 2hrs in the smoker. Then wrap in foil with a 1/2cup of water. Place on the propane grill or in the oven for couple of hrs till its falling apart. I found any more that 2hrs in the smoker is wasting wood. Another trick I learned from a buddy in Montana is to soak wild game in milk overnight. Seems to really take away any gamey flavor. I use milk on game and waterfowl also.

I would take 1 hog over all the deer I've every taken as far as for the table.

Stevo

Posts: 81 | Location: nebr. usa | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rattle, how long do you marinade it for?

I was thinking of trying this recipie for pork butts for pulled pork on the following page. Do you think it would work for pork hinds?

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/pork2.html

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a good recipe but here's a fail proof one that is very easy and takes much less time. I use it for any big cut of meat.

I'd take the recommendation of a couple of others on this thread and introduce foil into this recipe. Wrapping a piece of meat with foil will cut your total cooking time by 2/3 because you can cook it hotter and faster and it will still stay "fall off the bone" tender. Here's what you want to do. If using pork, marinate it with the aforementioned Mojo marinade for say 6+ hours. Right before you smoke it, take it out of the marinade and coat with your favorite rub. Get a very hot fire going (say 400-450 degrees) and put the meat over the high heat for say 30 minutes to sear the meat on the outside. Then reduce the heat to 275-300 degrees, place the meat in the foil, pour some marinade over the meat and wrap very tightly. It's important to get a good tight wrap on the foil. Use the heaviest duty foil you can find. Leave the meat on the fire for another 2-2.5 hours at the 275-300 degrees. Then, pull the meat out of the foil and finish with some good smoke at about the same temperature for about 45 minutes. Take meat off the fire and let sit for 30 minutes and then eat. It's that easy. For briskets, I do the same thing but I usually don't marinade and I use Stubbs sop to put on the meat when I wrap it with foil. I also cut the briskets into 2 pieces of meat (there's a natural seam for doing this) to make it cook faster. Larger pieces of meat will obviously take more time on the smoker. The actual smoking times are my best guess because I really don't even time it. I've been doing these long enough that I just know when it's time to move from one step to the next. But they are a good place to start. Sometimes I will slow smoke a big piece of meat if I have the time but it doesn't taste any better and it's not any more tender than the above method. That's why 95% of the time, this is how I do it. Very easy and very good.