Find
Notify
Tools

Hogs Gone Wild
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sam308
posted
Has anybody seen this show on the discovery channel? It's centered around these pest control people in Florida, Texas, and Hawaii. What really amazes me is that they are trapping the hogs or catching with dogs and hauling them off alive. They have to kill one occasionally because its too big to safely get tied up, but the whole time I'm watching I'm thinking "why aren't they just shooting these things?".

Posts: 344 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
They are selling them to high fence Hog Safari operators.

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Posts: 8696 | Location: MO | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are probably taking them to a slaughter house. The pigs have to make it to the butcher alive if you want to sell the meat.

Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
I saw my 2nd episode last night. I like the show. Those guys are crazy. They tried to tie up a 400 pounder but wound up having to stab it to death. I don't don't why you'd ever try that on a hog that big. Seems like they have little concern for their dogs. It does make interesting TV.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Swamp_Fox:

NO ONE BUYS HOGS for put and take hunting. Hogs are already everywhere.

Like Maki said, they have to be alive, standing in a trailer when they get to the slaughter house or feed lot.

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are only two ways to knock hogs numbers down to a controllable level. Helicopter hunts and coral style traps. Hogs are too adaptable to hunt or trap down to reasonable numbers. They figure out the game a lot quicker than other critters.

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by perry:
quote:

Like Maki said, they have to be alive, standing in a trailer when they get to the slaughter house or feed lot.

Perry

I know of one outfit in Mo that buys them.

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
I should clarify...

6 or 7 years ago an experienced hunter friend of mine did a pay hunt. THe operators said that they brought in feral hogs. My friend indicated that the hogs did act feral as he was worried about paying to shoot livestock.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Holy crap...give them my number, I could sell them thousands!

Perry

One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
Make some phone calls...

Google search: Missouri Hog Hunts

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not true. There are quite a few put and take outfits who buy them, but they don't pay much money for them. $25 to $50 is normal unless it is a really large one.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by perry:
quote:

Perry

But some do buy them

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
quote:

Not true. There are quite a few put and take outfits who buy them, but they don't pay much money for them. $25 to $50 is normal unless it is a really large one.

I assumed they paid a bit more as I recall the price seemed a bit steep. At $25 to $50 a hog I can see why they would go to the processor.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All of the hogs taken in Hawaii for the show were all killed. There are no slaughter houses to buy the meat nor are there any outfitters that purchase the animals for paid hunts. As with anything that is produced for T.V. things are over dramatized. One thing that I noticed was the use of snare traps where the guy that looks like Andre the Giant got his hand bit. The use of snare traps in itself is completely legal. However according to the DLNR, once an animal gets caught in the snare it becomes illegal. They claim that because of how the snare operates, it causes the animal to suffer and therefore is considered to be an act of cruelty to animals. Confused Any of you guys out there heard of anything like that in your part of the world?

Posts: 56 | Location: Kona, Hawaii | Registered: 16 January 2006Reply With Quote