New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Interesting area for hunting hogs
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I would not own anything else now that I have used the Rokon. I had a Honda 4X4 ATV but it was not capable of the off road feats of the Rokon. On old gravel roads or over grown roads, or around the farm a 4X4ATV is great. in steep or narrow places, or "trail-less" areas the ATV's are not of any use. All you need is a game trail through the bush and your good to go with a Rokon. They are as dependable and easy to use as they are well designed.

I have two right now and the one in the photo has been loading and packing gear without any problems since 2000. There is no downside except at high speed. They are not designed for good comfortable high speed driving. However if 25MPH is good enough this thing will carry you and your gear anyplace you can walk. They say the Rokon will go about 40MPH but I have never used it to it's peak speed. I installed an Hour meter on Mine. I have used 2/3 tank of fuel and it's been 11 hours run time. Imagine the range you can get with the whole 2.5 gallons. I'll bet 15 hours is easy and maybe 17 Hours?

I bought both of mine used and neither needed any work. I have one for sale now which is a near brand new 1997. That one also has the hollow drum wheels which each carry 4.5 gallons of fuel. It also has a side car with it. Imagine the range you can have with that extra 9 gallons of gas! It's all a guy needs for true remote back country travel. Its also easier to load into a small plane. It floats, and has a fully automatic sno-mobile type transmission. There is a three speed range gear selector. Low range will climb with high RPM and very slow speed. Much like a Jeep in low range does. In low range it will crawl right up the side of a treee until it falls backwards. In the middle range without a load it will climb about as well but can get up to 20-25 MPH or so. In the high gear it will not climb worth a crap but it will fly down the road faster then I care to travel. I usually leave it in the middle gear for 90% of my riding. They only weigh 185 pounds.

The thought put into the design is unique. Every bearing is the same, you never have to worry about 12 different sizes, both front and rear wheels and sprockets are identical. Both front and rear chains are the same. From a maintainance standpoint it's no more complicated then a lawn mower. One of mine has a 10HP Chrysler industrial 2 stroke engine. The other has a 6.6HP kohler 4 stroke. The Kohler runs quiet but the CHrysler is far more powerful and fun to drive. Rokon claims that the Kohler powered machine is the quietest off road machine made today. The Kohler is also a bit longer and much heavier. The Chrysler 2 stroke engine is only 9 pounds and the Kohler is about 40 pounds.

Balance is not easy with a big load but since there is no shifting with your feet or braking with your feet. It's easy to have them on the ground as you walk and crawl over the ground or trail to get back to the truck. I just sit on it with feet on the ground in low gear and putt putt right out.

I have hauled elk quarters out of steep hills where no 4X4ATV would even dream of going. It will carry as much as you can strap on and balance. I rode out with this hog and another hunter. I'm about 175, he is about 200, and that hog was about 175. Thats 550 pounds. I was at my limit with the room on the machine. If it were gold bars I probably could have loaded more weight. I think the really nice deal with the Rokon is carrying it on my pickups reciever hitch carry rack. No trailler needed. It takes up no space in the pickup. I even leave the canopy on the back of the truck so I have a place to sleep inside. Did I mention I like this machine?

Posts: 1261 | Location: Rural Wa. St. & Ellisras RSA | Registered: 06 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
Very nice.
Thank you for posting.
I like the bike very cool

Cheers,

Andr�

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote