Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hog Cheese
 Login/Join

posted
Saw this stuff this weekend for the first time. Anyone try it? Supposed to be fermented peanuts. Comes in a 45lb pail, but for $35 bucks it kind of steep to take the leap and try it. Same price as 200lbs of corn....

Hog Cheese

Posts: 62 | Location: Sugar Land, TX | Registered: 07 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
My only thought is that pigs are going to have to be somewhat used to eating peanuts.

To me it is like the concept of Apple Flavored Deer Corn.

If deer are not used to the taste or smell of apples, it really does not accomplish much.

I vividly remember a guy that hunted with me a couple of years in North Texas, just south of the Red River, buying two bales of high quality Alfalfa Hay, and it rotted, the deer would not touch it.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randall:

Used to be elk hunters out here would pack in baled alfalfa for the horses. What was left was still there the next year unless someone else had horses there before they got back.
Elk won't eat it, but, they will tear a stack yard fence and stacks apart to get at grass hay grown and put up on the local ranches. 12' fence won't keep elk out.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5949 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never hunted deer, hogs, or turkeys anywhere close to where corn is grown. But they find it in a New York minute and don't have to be "trained" that it's good to eat. Anything food that is appropriate to the species will bring them to it, assuming that their natural food is not overly abundant. For example, deer will let corn rot when a big crop of acorns is present.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I agree with most of that, but as with everything else in one's life, we are the sum of our experience.

Several years back, feed stores in the north Texas area carried sacks of corn and soy bean mixed. I began using it, but it took almost a month for the deer on the place I was hunting at the time, to finally start eating the soybeans. Once they got used to them, everything worked out fine.

Point I am trying to make, is that unless a person is in a situation where they have the time to get the game acclimated to a new type feed, even with hogs, I don't recommend someone going on a two day hog hunt, bring out some "Miracle" bait, that might actually cause the hogs to avoid the bait sites.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with Crazyhorse. They don't sell much of this kind of stuff to pigs!!Hunters, yes, pigs no! If it was made by Purina there would be science behind it. If they walk by corn, wont much stop em but what they are after!!

Posts: 707 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote