Find
Notify
Tools

Texas panhandle pigs
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Harold R. Stephens
posted
Just secured a chance to start hunting on 10,000 acres in the Texas pan handle today. Since my 5,000 acres in south Texas is getting to much pressure I hope to use this other place as a relief valve. The land owner is wanting us to thin his residence pig population down so that he hopes it reduces his fawn mortality due to hog predation... Not sure about that, but will be glad to hunt his hogs for him.

Man talk about having to travel? From Houston its 4.5 hrs to the south Texas ranch, now it will be 9.5 hours to the north Texas ranch. I'm either a glutton for punishment for that drive or I really like to hunt hogs.

They say that as one door closes another door opens. Plan to head to the pan handle on March 25-28 to scout out the place and start (hopefully) thinning out some pigs.

Founding member of the 7MM STW club

Member of the Texas Cull Hunters Association

Posts: 512 | Location: Granbury, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Harold,
Have you checked into any leases around Cleveland? I'm on a lease just north of there and the hog hunting is great, it's only an hour drive.....I live in Spring...if all your after is hogs....the cost of gas alone would pay for the lease in a yr I'd imagine.......

Bob

Posts: 9 | Location: Spring, Tx | Registered: 11 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
That's about how far I drive to hunt hogs Harold, and I still like it! Let us know how the first trip goes. Hopefully you reduce the population a little!

Posts: 3293 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Some nice country and good hunting up there, depending on exactly where you will be. Look forward to a report in due time.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Harold R. Stephens
posted Hide Post
This place is around Shamrock about an hour east of Amarillo close to the Oklahoma border.

Bob, other than gas and food we don't spend anything to hunt. I also use these opportunity to take clients and other employees hunting and we get to see different parts of our great state. Not that I would mind something close though to just run out for a quick hunt on a Saturday afternoon.

Founding member of the 7MM STW club

Member of the Texas Cull Hunters Association

Posts: 512 | Location: Granbury, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Harold,
There is alot of pretty country in this State! Through the years I've managed to see most of it, and if the creeks don't rise too much, I hope to see again! Good luck with your hunting!

Bob

Posts: 9 | Location: Spring, Tx | Registered: 11 January 2009Reply With Quote