New
Find
Notify
Tools

Texas Hog Hunt questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am planning a hog hunt in the state of Texas, having never used a guided hunt I persued the internet and came upon a place called, Hunting with Jeff ( http://www.huntingwithjeff.com) located in south Texas.
Does anyone know anything about this guide service. I live in Arizona so it is kinda hard to evaluate something like this having never been in that area of Texas.
Rolland

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know Jeff Myers but I'm fairly familiar with the areas that he's hunting and you shouldn't have trouble finding hogs.

Posts: 470 | Location: Texas/NYC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I hunted with Jeff a couple of years ago. Nice lodge, good food.

I hunted for 2 days out of blinds over bait and saw only 1 hog walking across the road. Jeff amde some phone calls, asked if I wanted to hunt with dogs. We hunted that night and I took a big 200+ hog with a knive. A rather different experience to stab a big hog to death.

Jeff was a good guy that wanted the hunter to be happy. I would hunt with him again.

One caution, brush is very thick with cactus. Not much spot and stalk hunting.

Seeker

Posts: 22 | Location: chicago il | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
I hunted with him last February. I only saw one hog from a stand during the day, but ended up taking 3 hogs at night shooting under LED lights fixed to the bottom of feeders. Tough shooting unless you have a good light gathering scope. You can rent a red spot light to help with night hunting which would probably be a good idea. Stalking is probably out of the question as the brush is very thick and everything has thorns. His operation is all about the $$$, you will hear how important it is to tip your guide (it is a bit hard to call these guys guides as all they do is drive you around, drop you at the blinds and throw a bit of corn down the roads) and staff and he runs as many hunters through the lodge as possible. I suspect most of his hog hunting is put and take as he buys many hogs from local trappers. On the plus side he usually has some beautiful women working the lodge during meals and has a good catch and release bass pond just outside the dining hall.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replys, I apprecate the information.
I was hoping for more of a stalk type hunt as I am not much for static hunts, altho I may have to take what I can find

Seeker
I don't believe I want that close of an upclose and personal hunt. Guess that is why I became a rifleman, Ya don't have to listen to all that screaming and blood splatter. Big Grin

I am not going until sometime in March so I will just keep looking
Rolland

NRA life member
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolland:
Thanks for all the replys, I apprecate the information.
I was hoping for more of a stalk type hunt as I am not much for static hunts, altho I may have to take what I can find

You could try these guys:

Mesquite Country Outfitters

I have met them but not hunted there. Other places for spot/stalk closer to DFW Airport that I know by reputation but have not hunted on would include ranches like the Nail and the Cook.

There are so many places to hunt hogs here that I would talk to several, tell them what kind of hunt you want and gauge their response, then ask on here for anyone with personal experience.

Good luck.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My buddy and I are going to this place in late Feb. 4 nights, 3 full days of hunting. All the hogs we care to shoot and 1 javelina, lodging, meals, skin/quarter, $900.

http://www.lazyrhunts.com/

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the feedback, I think I can now wander off in the right direction.
I,m glad I found this forum

NRA life member
NRA Golden Eagles member

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Do they have catch and release on those lodge workers, the cute ladies? jumping Packy