New
Find
Notify
Tools

Texas HOG
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am trying to post a picture for the first time so bear with me. Nice tusker What did I do wrong? The picture won't show.

Posts: 62 | Location: Texas Panhandle | Registered: 26 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Try this:

Just copy the image code on the Photobucket page and paste it into your post.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deakin:
What did I do wrong? The picture won't show.

You used the URL for the album page instead of for the picture. Is should end in .jpg.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Charles. I am still trying to be in the fast lane on pictures.

Posts: 62 | Location: Texas Panhandle | Registered: 26 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank you Charles. I am still trying to be in the fast lane on pictures.

My pleasure.

Congratulations on the pig!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice knives on that piggie---

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
Picture of 10,3x60r
posted Hide Post
Very big pig, of German " Capital Schwarzwild".

Member in Shooting Game "Tiro distretto Moesa" www.tirodicaccia.com and webmaster from www.scgroven.jimdo.com Smiler webmaster Hunting website www.mesolcina-caccia.com and fly fishing website www.mesolcinapam.jimdo.com on FB find Al Venza.

Posts: 339 | Location: Switzerland, Lostallo GR | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice porker with some real nice tusk. The sandy riverbottom seems to wear down the tusk of hogs arond here, or maybe I am just unlucky. Am I wrong or is that a lefty rifle? Those southpaw shooters dont miss. LOL
Eterry

Good luck and good shooting.
In Memory of Officer Nik Green, #198, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop G...Murdered in the line of duty 12-26-03...A Good Man, A Good Officer, and A Good Friend gone too soon

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That Russian has some nice blades on him. I'd take one like him over a "hogzilla" any day of the week.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eterry, yes it is a lefty, 25-06. I can't kill one on the first shot except in the trap. Man the small ones taste great, but I didn't try this old boar.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Deakin, did you weigh him by chance? Just curious. Very nice hog with some damn good cutters.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No not officially. We guessed by the strain on the body and taking two adults to drag him he was on the plus side of 300. I have the head boiled out and will try another picture of the skull and the tusks are more impressive.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you shoot him here in the Panhandle? I am in Amarillo.

Posts: 317 | Location: Texas Panhandle | Registered: 09 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Nice going! And it seems someone is sure proud of Pop...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9379 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
720 in the Eastern Panhandle. I saw a picture tonight that made this pig look like a yearling. The pig was hung with two hunters on either side and I think the pig was at least 10' long, man what a pig.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Eterry, yes it is a lefty, 25-06. I can't kill one on the first shot except in the trap..

if you cant kill it on the first shot with the 25-06 then why use such a small rifle......

or was this the only pig that didnt die on the first shot......

i my self use a 375 h&h or some 40 cal plus rifle for all my hog hunting and have never never had to shoot one more than once.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
700, I am a recoil wussy. I have shot a lot over the years and don't like recoil in any form. I wasn't using the correct bullet as first.

This guy was shot head on with a Nos 100 grn ballistic tip. Dropped like a rock, death squeal and all. Started up to him, he got up and took off like a shot. It is so thick that you can't find them if they get to cover. Just happenstance we were close enough to put him down.

I am going to a 260 and 140's and try head shots. I have had 5 this year run off, recovered one with complete performance of the bullet inside. No lungs or heart, dropped kicked and then got up and ran over 50 yds stone dead.

Pigs are just a different animal than I am used to shooting, tough and just a different set of values for living.

posted Hide Post
Exit wounds make finding them a WHOLE LOT easier.....

Stuff the 260 or 25-06 with Barnes X bullets, or bonded core bullets that are heavy for the particular caliber and blood trailing them will become a lot more productive... I hunt in Texas also and lack of an exit wound makes finding them nearly impossible. Not to mention getting a nasty surprise occasionally when the rascal isn't dead if you stumble upon him in a thicket or at night before he cashes in his chips.

Posts: 8 | Location: Southeast Texas | Registered: 14 July 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thought I would add this... I ran across this website last night. I haven't used them, but intend on giving them a try shortly... Anyone had any experience with them??? See link below -

www.hawkbullets.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Deakin. That is nice country over there. I may get to hunt deer just over the Oklahoma border next year. Your .25-06 or a .260 loaded with Nosler partitions or Barnes X,s should be fine for boar.

Posts: 317 | Location: Texas Panhandle | Registered: 09 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
M. Sterling,

I used to by Hawk bullets for a double rifle drilling that I had. I used 250 grain .356 bullets. The only reason I went with Hawk is due to the unusual diameter, wish I could have used standard .358s.

Anyway, they were great bullets but cost a bundle. I took a deer, an elk and an antelope. They had options for jacket thickness, I chose the thin jacket because the bullets were travelling at glacial speed (2000fps or so). In the cases where I found the bullets they had mushroomed dramatically and the jackets had separated, but were always right behind the lead. Devistating results with a heavy slow bullet.

Posts: 1067 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sterling, haven't found intrance or exit wounds on the ones that I have recovered. Hide is about 1/2" thick and then a thin layer of fat, the wound just seals up.

I don't think that I can depend on a bullet that will create a large exit wound in 25 cal. I agree that I need a larger caliber if I intend to track them but I still think that I will keep trying with the 25 and perhaps get me a good dog.

Then I can blame my misses on him.

one of us
posted Hide Post
i have used a 25-06 my self and i second the vote for barns x bullets....

i had some 115 grain tipple shocks moving out at round 3200 fps they were both accurate and deadly.

id would really give them a try i also like head shots and the barns should really help you out there.

maybe a 308 winchester or 30-06 might be up your ally as well. loaded with some 180's reacoil is almost non existant.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Deakin -

Like 700 nitro said, you really should give the Barnes X's a try. I have never recovered one, they have exited every time regardless and this is 150's out of a 300 Weatherby. The old X's tend to shear off the petals and not make a large exit wound, but the petals on the Triple Shocks are nearly indestructible. The 100gr or 115gr TSX BT should turn a 25-06 into a death ray and should reliably leave a decent hole out the other side.

As far as dogs, you can't beat em... I have a rat terrier that can trail and air scent animals as good as my bloodhound can find humans. They will virtually end losing game unless it is a really bad shot and the animal leaves the county on you. Lot's of breeds work well, but I have fallen in love with a rat terrier for game recovery. I have trained and worked dogs all of my life and I don't think a dog exists with more natural hunting drive. They generally stay pretty closeby when in the woods and they make an excellent pet around the house. If you are inclined to keep a small dog in the house at night for security/snitch, it's impossible to sneak up on one...

Two cents
MD