Find
Notify
Tools

Wild boar trip to Hungary
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cohannon
posted
Have got an invite to join a party from Southern Ireland going to Northern Hungary in June to hunt wildboar at night. Seems to be from high seats in the moonlight, 9pm to 7am shift one man per location. Anyone had the pleasure of this caper and care to share their experience? ....

Posts: 90 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 23 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted Northern Hungary quite a few years ago - although in winter. Like you, I'll be going again this June.

Hungary is one of the primary hunting destinations in Europe. I'm sure not all areas are equally good, but the better areas have amazingly high standards of game management and professionalism in guiding.

That said, pigs are always here today and gone tomorrow. No such thing as a done deal on piggies, but the chances in a good area should be about as good as they come.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cohannon
posted Hide Post
Hi Mike .... The area I'm heading for is the oak and beech forests around the small town of Balassagyarmat, about 50 miles north of Budapest and next to the slovak border. Costs are very reasonable and prospects are apparently good or better..... Alan

Posts: 90 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 23 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alan, I don't know that particular location you mention - maybe one of the guys on the European forum might? There is an Italian hunter posting there, who goes to Hungary quite frequently.

What never ceases to amaze me, is the quality of hunting you can find in the vicinity of Budapest. All around Budapest (in particularly North and East), there seem to be a plethora of areas with amazing game populations. In particular pigs and mouflon seem to be well represented in this part of the country. There are also good red stag populations, although you have to go to the South-West to find the monster stags Hungary is famous for...

Just for laughs, here is a map of some of the better hunting areas - all represented by the company running this website. You'll find some of the best areas of the country represented here. Click on general areas and specific hunting areas (numbers) for more detailed information. Sadly all in German, but, hey, you are headed to the Continent, and German is the language for foreign hunters in many of these places... So it is time to brush up on your linguistic skills... Wink

http://www.sevako.hu/unsere_reviere/karte_uber_unsere_partnerreviere/

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cohannon
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike ... I must polish up my German.
Waidmannsheil .... Alan Smiler