THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HOG HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hogs, Warthogs, Wild Boars, Javelinas Hunting    breaking in and "blooding" of the new 30-30 AI barrel

Moderators: Whitworth
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

breaking in and "blooding" of the new 30-30 AI barrel
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted

Well, since I didn’t get any photos of a boar I took a couple evenings ago, this sow will serve as the official breaking in of my new 26”/1:12 MGM Contender barrel in 30-30 AI. Bullet performance was perfect. The 150 grain AB entered in front of the onside shoulder on the quartering target and exited tight behind the opposite shoulder, killing it instantly. On the 220 yard boar (sorry,no photos), I had to take a high lung shot due to intervening brush, but the AB again did its job as the hog only made 25 yards or so before piling up. And, there was lots of damage between the entry and exit.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9406 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like some shooting and will be some good eating!!!

Life Is For Service
DRSS

Posts: 254 | Location: South Florida | Registered: 26 August 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Nice work, Bobby! Good to see you back in the game! beer

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
It is always fun to bloody a new toy!

Good shooting as usual!!

Congrats,

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Isn’t it great when a plan comes together and everything works like it was thought to work?

Nice shooting……………

"We Don't Rent Pigs !"

Posts: 1191 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 29 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great job Bob. How many of those TC combinations do you have? I have an Encore with three barrels, a muzzle loader, a .25/06 and a 6.5mmx284. I've been disappointed with the accuracy in all three barrels, especially the fix cartridge jobs, just expected better.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Larry-I only have this 30-30 AI and a 7mm Bullberry. The others were sold off here and there to cover some of my medical bills. The twins have a 30-30, and I still have a factory 30-30 AI (barrel only), but that barrel is soon to be on the chopping blocks to recoup part of what I spent for the new one... Smiler

The factory barrel shot very well for me, but I really wanted a 26" as they balance exceptionally well for me and seem to hang on target better. Then, too, I can use a slightly milder load to get the same ballistics as I was with the 23" factory tube.

The TCs are a different animal and have a few intricacies which can cause erratic accuracy. The forend, hinge pin and headspace all require special attention. But when you get it all ironed out, a Contender or Encore has the potential for exceptional accuracy.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9406 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Meant to say: The 25-06, if a factory barrel,could be one of the "bad" ones from TC. The 25-06 chambering is their problem child, and I've seen several which would do no better than 4-6" groups at 100 yards. It is reportedly their most-returned caliber. Then again, I've seen a couple in 26" heavy format which would do 3/4th" with monotonous regularity.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Something for almost everyone:

Ψητό χοιρινό κρέας είναι στο μενού σήμερα!
(Choirinó psitó eínai sto menoú simera .)
Arrosto di maiale si trova nel menu di oggi!
Rôti de porc est au menu aujourd'hui!
Schweinebraten auf dem Speiseplan stehen heute!
Vepřová pečeně je v nabídce ještě dnes!
Cerdo asado está en el menú de hoy!
Assum suilla est in menu hodie!
Печено свинско е на менито денес!
لحم الخنزير المشوي على القائمة اليوم!

Sure hope it turns out OK (still marinating now). And I hope I did the sentences above correctly. I am teaching myself Greek, can speak/understand (but NOT write) Czech, remember a little Spanish from high school but know little of other languages. I apologize in advance if I did it wrong. Was trying to look up words online, and while I found some help, I just am not very computer literate... Big Grin

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Looks good to me Bobby! congrats on the new barrel!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know you have done very well with your TCs, I've always admired the results of your shooting. In truth I haven't invested a whole lot of time experimenting with different loads yet, so I'll try that first. If not I may send it to a TC mechanic.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobby,
Ever go down to Praha? Jak se Mas!

"We Don't Rent Pigs !"

Posts: 1191 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 29 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Been to Praha a few times when I was much younger, including to their famous picnic. Never figured out why they hold it during the absolute hottest part of the year, but it does not seem to matter as attendance is almost ritual-like. And to answer your question:

Dobrý. Děkuju.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ