New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pigs from Portugal
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
http://i791.photobucket.com/al...ugalJan2013038sm.jpg With the help of Steve Robinson I booked a three day hunt with Athina Hunting Tours in Portugal. Took my Blaser k95 with a Trijucon 2.5x 10 in 30-06 with 200 gr. partitions. Complete pass through end to end on both pigs. We hunted over wallows under the full moon at night, and spot and stalk during the day. The first night we had pigs all around us that we could hear, but no shot. Next morning we took a walk and managed to find one in it's bed at about 90 yards, I had my first. Later that Night on a wallow, we had a small boar come in, but I waited, and in about a half hour one a bit lager ran him off. After a short wait, he returned and gave me a nice 40 yard shot. The food was fantastic and the guides were a lot of fun to be around.

Posts: 1102 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Wonderful pictures!! Thank you very much for posting them! beer

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Wonderful pics and a great hunt! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ENY
Great hog, wonderful countryside,and the wood on stock .. stunning. Excellent photographer.
Tell us more.
Is not Steve a great guy?
Congrats.

Elton

Posts: 268 | Location: Western Arkansas/Barksdale,TX. USA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Loverley stuff. tu2

Sshh! Question asked in a whisper, "Where was the Hook?" Ssshhh! Roll Eyes

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Hey Eny,

I'm glad you had a successful trip, and sorry we could not be there with ŷou, but Steve is a great host.

Adam and I are planning our September hunt for stag and boar now and perhaps we will aim to be out with you in November too.

Best regards,
Kiri

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding in every way.
That looks like great territory for chasin' hoglets. Great pix.

By all means, more hunts and pix.

Also, my Merkel K1 Stutzen wants to be a K95 when it grows up. dancing

Best

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Great pics! Congrats on a great hunt! I love Portugal...can't beat the people, food, wine...and of course the Port!!

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob in TX:
Great pics! Congrats on a great hunt! I love Portugal...can't beat the people, food, wine...and of course the Port!!

Bob

I'll second that. tu2

Bob,

Don't know if you've tried the local village wines but many are even better than the shop bought ones. beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know what happened to my photos! Anyway, yes Steve is a great guy and I can vouch for the local wines. We also saw a lot of red hinds and spikes. One nice stag, some fallow bucks and a ton of partridge. Also, I would like to mention that all airport staff I dealt with (Boise and Lisbon)were just great to deal with. I'll see what I can do about the photos

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Eric

Glad to know you enjoied the hunt and your stay with us.
Great pics.

Edgar

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Edgar

Welcome to the forum! tu2

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
The little stone structure in the second last picture, anyone know what it is and it's history?

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scriptus:
The little stone structure in the second last picture, anyone know what it is and it's history?

My friend Edgar is the expert and hopefully he'll comment.

Although it's hard to gauge size from that pic, I'd guess it's either some kind of a massive a bread oven (doubtful though), a mill or an animal shelter but that's only a guess.

FWIW, the castle in the last picture is almost certainly a Knights Templar castle from somewhere around 1100 - 1300 AD or so.

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
It looks as it has something to do with water, judging by silt or sand outside the door on the right. Interesting place. Even the buildings in the fore ground below the fort have a substantial wall, and that above a cliff or bluff.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Perhaps a water mill of some kind?...... I notice the river actually flows beneath the structure so it probably has something to do with the flow.

In the case of the walled town, I'd guess it was probably just that. The original town that probably sprung up there where it could seek the protection of the Templars in times of need and trade with them in times of peace and the buildings outside the wall are probably later buildings that were built after the walled area filled up.

But then again, I could be totally wrong on all of it! jumping

I've just started reading about the Peninsula wars here which is very interesting but haven't started researching much about the previous history yet though.

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Hell, I have just spent a lot time on Wikipedia checking out castles and forts. Quite interesting.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Portugal is full of them buddy and as you say, all VERY interesting. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve is right, every where you go, there is some interesting history. from the druids, celtiberians, romans, knights Templars, etruscans, paleolithic people, and I'm sure I've missed a few.

One of Us
Picture of Adam.270
posted Hide Post
Eric,

I'm really glad the hunt went well - I see Edgar and Dr V are looking as dapper and stylish as ever Wink.

As Kiri says, it would be really nice to tie up with you next time you're in Portugal - if I starve myself for the next six months, I should just about be able to manage four days of 24/7 Portuguese food, coffee and wine intake...

Guys, it's really straightforward for US hunters to bring their rifles into Portugal to hunt and the hunting itself is excellent and affordable.

Adam.

Posts: 186 | Location: UK | Registered: 04 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Adam, I hope to meet you there this fall (November) and we will look for a nice stag!Don't worry about starving your self, I'll just tell Edgar and Vassalo that we want to see a lot of that river country on foot Smiler

One of Us
Picture of Adam.270
posted Hide Post
I think, of all the areas we stalked over there, the steep valleys and ravines around the Tejo and along the Spanish border were my favourites - although I may come to reconsider that view if I find myself dragging a stag out of one of those gulleys. Mind you, Edgar ably demonstrated that the combination of Portuguese driver and pimped-up Land Rover Discovery is pretty much able to access any point on the globe, be it vertical, rock strewn or axle deep in mud, so I'll leave the extraction to him!

Posts: 186 | Location: UK | Registered: 04 August 2009Reply With Quote