New
Find
Notify
Tools

South Texas Hog Hunt in February
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am heading to South Texas (south of Freer) for a hog hunt in mid-February. I have hunted down there in late November. Will the weather be comparable to that time? Also, is it still very dry in that area.

Any weather info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks-
Mike W

Posts: 6357 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 28 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The weather is still very dry, 14 monthes of dry so far. This has greatly impacted the hogs population so I would check with your outfitter. The next 2 weeks it is forcasted to be mild 70/40 for high/low with a slight chance of rain this Saturday. Freer is typically 5 degrees warmer than SA temps. If the hogs have stayed around the property you should have a good hunt as they are really having to move around to find food. Good hunting!

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the hogs don't have supplemental food and water it will be tough to find them right now. They are really concentrated around oat fields, old peanut fields, corn feeders, etc right now if there is water nearby. One of the ranches I hunt has the only water for about 5,000 acres and the hogs are thick around that one tank. All the other tanks have pretty much dried up.

I drove through Freer a few weeks back and it's as dry as it is everywhere else in Texas. I'd take Perry's recommendation and talk to your outfitter about the hunting situation with respect to food and water.

Posts: 470 | Location: Texas/NYC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for your input.
MW

one of us
posted Hide Post
Went to the ranch today to fill feeders and thought I'd shoot a pig since I was there. Had the opportunity, but missed one at about 150 yds. Then to top it off, I missed a coyote at about 250. Back to the range next week for a zero check session. Frowner

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Hey Mike,

Like the boys said, it can be in the upper 70's or the lower 40's during the day this time of year. At night it can be in the 20's or the 50's. Just come prepared. It is still very dry. Good luck on your hunt and take lots of photos. Our group is going down near Pearsall the first weeknd of March.

Good Hunting,

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Was 21F this morning at dawn in the Hill Country. Pigs were hiding though we saw a few deer. Way too damn cold for Texas!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob in TX:
Hey Mike,

Like the boys said, it can be in the upper 70's or the lower 40's during the day this time of year. At night it can be in the 20's or the 50's. Just come prepared. It is still very dry. Good luck on your hunt and take lots of photos. Our group is going down near Pearsall the first weeknd of March.

Good Hunting,

Bob

Who are you hunting with in Pearsall?

Hunted pigs last night, basically riding around on a rack in the back of a truck looking for hogs until 3 am. Man, was it cold. I don't know the wind chill but the truck's thermometer said it was 25 degrees and my face was so cold that it affected my speech. This weather caught me off guard sinice it's been so warm all winter.

We got 4 pigs but we hit a group of about 25 and only ended up with 3 down on the ground out of that group.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am leaving for a hog/javelina hunt on a ranch southwest of Uvalde, in 2 weeks. The hard part is deciding on what clothes to take. Guess I will have to watch the weather the day before we take off. Might have to take carharts and shorts and flip flops!

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mad Dog:
I am leaving for a hog/javelina hunt on a ranch southwest of Uvalde, in 2 weeks. The hard part is deciding on what clothes to take. Guess I will have to watch the weather the day before we take off. Might have to take carharts and shorts and flip flops!

Mad Dog

I would definitely prepare for anything. Otherwise whatever you leave at home will be what you need.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rattlesnaker:
We got 4 pigs but we hit a group of about 25 and only ended up with 3 down on the ground out of that group.

Hey -- you killed more than I did!

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
quote:

Hey -- you killed more than I did!

Did you hunt pigs this weekend too?

I can't take all the blame for the misses since I wasn't even carrying a gun. My job was to find the hogs from the back of the truck and then hold a spotlight for two other guys to shoot them. I will say that shooting a running pig while bouncing around in the back of a truck going 40 MPH is not necessarily an easy task.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:

Did you hunt pigs this weekend too?

I can't take all the blame for the misses since I wasn't even carrying a gun. My job was to find the hogs from the back of the truck and then hold a spotlight for two other guys to shoot them. I will say that shooting a running pig while bouncing around in the back of a truck going 40 MPH is not necessarily an easy task.

No, I meant that you got to hunt and had some success while I held down the couch! I did take my girls after hogs the last weekend in January but was trying to get another one for my oldest daughter and although we saw some we did not take one.

I am done for the year since they are running guided hunts in there now and it will be a bit crowded.

Edited: It is no fun in the back of the truck in a cold wind, and shooting running hogs can be dicey as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, with my uninsulated boots and nothing to protect my face I was really getting cold out there. I was hunting with a guy from Minnesota and a guy from Wisconsin and I knew it was cold when they started complaining. The third guy from Minnesota went and sat in another truck (running w/ heater on) instead of hunting because he was too cold.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
The third guy from Minnesota went and sat in another truck (running w/ heater on) instead of hunting because he was too cold.

Now that is funny. Several years ago I bought an insulated coat and pants from Cabelas (actually my wife got them for me). With thermals, a good face mask, insulated boots, and some gloves I can take most of the S. Texas cold. The face mask looks kind of like this one:

and makes a huge difference in warmth, although it cuts down your peripheral vision a lot (I think mine has separate eye holes which is probably worse, and mine does not go as far down the neck.).

Just the get-up for sitting out those howling Northers when nothing is moving anyway and all the smart people are inside with a heater.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The guy from Minnesota had one of those face mask things on, pretty much like the one in the picture.

I was just grossly underprepared for the weather. The guys from up north couldn't believe it was in the 80's just the day before.

At one point I seriously considered getting off the rack on the truck and doing a few wind sprints to get my body heat moving. Cool

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
At one point I seriously considered getting off the rack on the truck and doing a few wind sprints to get my body heat moving. Cool

I've found that I really warm up if I have to start cleaning or skinning anything -- I don't know why that is.

I usually try to throw my warm stuff in the truck just in case, but with the weather the way it has been this year it is hard to remember.

one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't know the wind chill but the truck's thermometer said it was 25 degrees

Bring it on!

We were out rabbit hunting friday and it was -15. Would have been better off if I'd worn long underwear under my jeans. A branch smacked me in the face and cut my cheek but I didn't realize it till I got in the Jeep. First of the month it was raining now the world froze solid. Guess we're finnaly getting what we are typically used to. Just a really messed up winter, supposed to be up to 42 on Friday then 12 on Saturday. What are the daytime highs getting up to in Pearsall?

---------------------------------

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends on the day. It was only really cold for one night. The other nights have been in the 30's and 40's and even the 50's for most of January. Highs for the days have been anywhere from mid 40's up to mid 80's with the majority of the days being in the 70's. Pretty crazy weather this winter to be this warm.

I know 25 doesn't sound too cold for a maritimer but it is for a south texan, especially one that rides around in the back of a truck chasing pigs. I think my face is still thawing out.

one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
Just razzin ya. I've ridden on back of pickups in warmer weather than that and it sure ain't fun. I think my legs are still thawing out from friday too.

By the way good to see you remembered the Maritimer thing.

---------------------------------

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey there-
We got back from the south Texas trip last Monday and this was the first chance we had to respond. And to think I thought it was going to be hot and dry down there in Freer. It was a cold, rainy, and windy hunt! The cold front hit us Friday morning, Feb.16, and stayed with us til we left. But still, can't wait to go back...again.

#2 son, TJ, shot a 161 pound boar and #3 son, Kyle, shot a boar that weighed in at 190 pounds. Poor dad didn't get a shot, but all saw plenty of critters. All the more reason to go back.

Even with those nasty conditions, the hunt was a hoot! Guess it's true...the worst day hunting is still way better than the best day working.

Thanks for your input(s)-
MW

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I spend a lot of time up north in sub zero weather at 10% or less humidity and a lot of time in South Texas at 39-40F with 80% humidity.

The Texas weather is far more uncomfortable but far less dangerous. If you Yankees haven't tried 35F, 30 MPH and 90% humidity come on down! It sucks!

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Hey Mike,

Congrats on your hunt!! It is too bad dad didn't get one. I hope you have some photos to post. My neice and here fiance' came to San Antonio for a visit at the same time.....same cold, damp weather. Now it is back up in the 70's.........

Bob

Rattlesnaker....We are going to be hunting this weekend about 20 miles west of I-35 off of HWY 57 north of Pearsall.

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote