New
Find
Notify
Tools

4 hog day
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Went hog hunting today, new spot. Killed a 35 pounder and the big one got away. Comforted myself with knowing that at least I had a chance at a nice hog.

Went to a old haunt to see if there was any pig sign. To my amazement there was a herd of pigs standing in the field. Pretty good sign I thought. Stopped the truck and my hunting partner shot one hog with my truck gun, but it and the herd hit the woods. I jumped out of the truck and let the dogs out. No time at all passed and the dogs had bayed. We ran to the bay and to our disapointment the dogs were on the wounded hog. I put my revolver to the boars head and pulled the trigger. We then got the dogs off the dead boar and got them back in the hunt.

Not much delay and the dogs were bayed again, things were looking up. Busted butt to the bay, only to find them on another small 35 poundish PIG. Stuck it and got the dogs off and running. Seen a nice hog briefly but didn't get a shot and the dogs were moving in another direction. The dogs appeared to be moving off at a good rate of speed so we decided to get back to the truck and head them off. Blanca my catch dog followed us to the truck.

Got in the truck and stopped a few times before hearing the bay. Got in the vicinity and bailed out headed in the direction of the comotion. Blanca streaked by like white lightning and soon it was on. I got to the location of the bay and saw a huge boar, I mean a really big black sucker. The hog sent Blanca flying through the air, she went right back at him, and he sent her flying again. She went back in and caught him by the ear. The hog by this time also had Neals pitt on the other ear, and the rest of the dogs moved in. I drew my knife but Neal said he had a sale for a big boar, so we wrestled the beast and got the hobbles on it with great difficulty.

Got some more help (human) to get it out the woods. Blanca had a cut on her chin, a laceration of the hide, but not too bad. She also had a nasty laceration on her leg as well, but she will be okay, just sore for a while.

So it was a four hog day, not a bad day in the woods with Babette and Blanca.

A truck load of pork!!

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't get overheated!! good job

Posts: 157 | Location: Pearsall, Tex. | Registered: 25 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great story! Thanks for letting us in on it.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duckman acutally it's pretty cool in these parts right now. Will get warm soon I'm sure. We hunt on the river when it is too warm, so we can get the dogs in the river if they get over heated. I've been known to join them myself.

Glad you enjoyed the story, Larry.

Regards

Larry

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Awesome hunt there Larry! Looks like you guys and the dogs got a good workout. Thats a big boar you guys hobbled up. Hope blanca heals up nice and quick! Enjoyed the story and pics very much thanks for posting.

Aloha,

Dom

Hunting its not a Hobby its My Way of Life!!!

Posts: 449 | Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Nice work as usual, Larry!! Congratulations! Did you get the chance to weigh that hoss?? beer

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dom for the kind remarks considering Blanca. She is walking around as though her wounds weren't even there. It's amazing how tough these dogs are.

Blanca is at that awkward stage. Not what I'd call a finished catch dog. She knows she needs to catch near the head, but hadn't always figured out that it is the ear, she needs. Because of that she doesn't have the control she needs in the process, and also rebites too often. She'll get it eventually if she lives long enough. Kind of harsh, but as you know the life of a catch dog is no bed of roses. It is her first few months of catching so she is really doing well. She definetly has the spirit and guts for it.

No Marco, we didn't weigh the beast, but it is well over 300 lbs in my estimation. How close to 400 lbs I dunno. It is the second largest hog I've put my hands on for sure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry,
As always I felt like I was right there with you! I am getting ready for groundhogs and you southern boys are hunting the real pork!

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess it is all good as long as we are occupied with hogs whatever the size.

one of us
posted Hide Post
How did you guys get a 300lb plus live hog into the trk

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:

Very carefully...... Big Grin

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:

Very carefully...... Big Grin

and with outside help!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would think so. puting a 300 lb dead pig in is enough trouble.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
congratulations my friend AND BEAUTIFULL DOGO ,im hunting with clients soon ill post the photos of this season and Choel my giant dogo.
YOU MUST COME A COUPLE OF DAYS MY FRIEND .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're right I NEED TO PAY YOU A VISIT!!! Before I'm too old to follow the dogs.