Find
Notify
Tools

pig rifles
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
577? Was that a broadside shot? What did it mess up inside? Heart, lungs, or liver? I just wondered. Thanks Packy

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Excellent, 577!! It's fun hammering 'em with a big-bore!! Where did you shoot that hog? I'm still searching for somewhere to hunt up here (Alexandria -- we're neighbors!).......

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, after seeing everyones BIG pig guns, I feel kind of under gunned. The last two hogs I killed were with a 220 Swift. By far not the most recommended hog gun but while out calling you use what you have in hand. Head shot or heart shot the oinkers know no difference. mgun

Texas Verminator
Verminator Predator Calls Pro Staff

Posts: 261 | Location: Big Spring, Texas | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
We were hunting at the 4K Ranch in Brady, Texas. Texas, you say? But there is snow on the ground!

Yeah, when the DRSS had it's hunt the Monday following the DSC convention, Texas got hit with ice and snow - but we still went hunting!

I was hunting in a ground blind and took the shot at him from about 40 yards. It was cold and I was on my knees when I fired the first barrel. I wanted to aim low into the front of the pig so as not to blow out the hams. Well, in the photo you can see that I aimed a bit too low and literally blew his front legs off.

The pig hit the ground and started to get up when I said "F--- it" and put the 750 grain Woodleigh soft point right behind the front shoulder (as shown in the photo). The hog was quartering away from me when I shot him so the bullet went right into the chest cavity and exited right on the shoulder. I couldn't find the bullet - it was too cold and I was not prepared for the cold temps when I arrived in DFW.

Regarding the damage to the offal, I don't know; the guides did the cleaning and I was too focused on getting warmed up and drinking whiskey.

We are heading back to 4K in June if anyone is interested - info about the hunt is in the Double Rifle forum. I think in total we got 22 hogs that trip (I think - it may have been more).

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
for a place near Va try Black River Plantation in SC

http://www.southernoutdoorexperience.com/hunting_lodge/index.asp

Posts: 43 | Location: PW County, VA | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where are 4Houtfitters photos?
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Brian T., have you hunted there?

Semper Fidelis

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff Sullivan
Your 308 Tracker and the 165 TB's will be perfect for pigs, and most other game for that matter.

We have taken several pigs with it.

My wife used that bullet to take a zebra and a wildebeast in Zim.

Another plus to that bullet is that it does not "blow up" small game. 2 bobcats, a honeybadger, a heyena, all taken under 50 yards and various coyotes, were taken with very small exit wounds and no hide damage.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
NE 450 No2
I like the "tracker" set up so well that I also bought a 375 H&H "tracker" barrel from Aleko too. Thanks for your advise on the Trackers.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff I like my Trackers, they are my favorite Blaser bbls for general use.
As we have discussed I can tell no loss of accuracy between them and the regular bbls to 200 yards on paper and to 300 yds on steel.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted Texas Hogs for years... My sons use a
30-06 or 450 marlin or 480 Ruger
I use a 338WM unless we are "walking them up" and then I use my 450 Marlin, but at the short East Texas distances a 30-30 would be fine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mention was made of Hogzilla and there was a recent write up in F&S, I believe, on this hog and a newer, bigger one. Seems both were pen raised and had gotten out, and folks shot them. The new pig was over a 1,000 lbs. Guy said he shot him under the ear with a 7mm08, at about 40 yards or so. Might want to check out the F&S or ODL on line to see the story.

I'd like to get in some pig hunting myself, if someone can tell me of some where to go, that needs pigs shot. I am retired, so have a lot of time, just need somewhere to go. Anyone wanting to get a hunt up, let me know.

Posts: 501 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
tysue
Check into going on a DRSS pig hunt.
What part of the US are you in?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I can say that I have taken them using a varied arsonal, but the primiary rifle has been my Ruger Compact in .308. It has done it's work flawlessly when applied to the task at hand. Here are a few of the biggest,

Definatley not the biggest but probably the best of them all was this one, my grandson took with the .308 with a 125gr reduced load, right before his 5th birthday.

Mike / Tx

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike/Tx
Nice Pigs. Big Grin

Way to go teaching the "little one" to hunt. He is the future of our sport. thumb

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Great pigs, Mike/TX!! beer

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
.308 win works great

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Cool pig gun. I'm jealous. In the state of Misery I can't own one of those, even though I've been in L E for over ten years. Then I also can't hunt with a suppressor in the state of Misery either. bewildered Packy

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RH outfitter:
I think the 270 would be fine but a couple of the folks who stated in the above postings that hogs are easy to kill must have never got on a big hog. i belive in good shot placement and a hog weighing less than 300lbs are not to hard to drob with an average deer rifle, i have shot a couple over 550 lbs the only reasion i know they were over 550 is my scale stops at 550 and they were bending the needle. i will share one story with yall i was hunting with a friend in the brazos bottom area of brazos co it was about 8:00 p.m. and two hogs came over the railroad tracks that border my friends place my buddy was running the spot light and i was shooting he flipped the light on and i shot the first hog which was a 550 plus hog at 80 yds broad side with a 375 h&h with 300 grain swift aframes he did not evan move he started running towards the truck out of confusion i am sure i put another one in his chest coming head on he turned i put a third in his rear end i put the fourth in the second hog he weighed 485 a bad shot through the hind end i realoaded and put the fith round in the second hog i put the 6th round in the first hog through the head and i put the 7th round in the second hog and droped him. now the point of my story when i cleaned the 550+ hog i had to use a hatchet to bust the cape and in the cape was all these little nots i cut one out it was a bullet there was probley a hundred bullets of all size from .22 rim fire to what looked like 30 cal bullets fired at 30-06 velocitysand every cal in between parden the spelling. but this story gets me going every time i share it. like i said earler i was shooting a 375 H&H with 300grain swift in the big hog i recovered 3 out of 4 bullets. I dont feel that hogs are easy to kill but ones under 300 lbs usualy go down with a good shot or two. the head shot is my first choice but it is not all ways feasable. i run a guide service and see all kinds of crazy shots and shot placement.

This is one of the stupidest post I have read so far on AR. Next we will be reading about elk getting hit with 155mm HE rounds and just walking off like nothing ever happened.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
This is one of the stupidest post I have read so far on AR. Next we will be reading about elk getting hit with 155mm HE rounds and just walking off like nothing ever happened.[/QUOTE]

AGREE

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
You know, I like hunting hogs with my big-bore rifles, but not because I have to, but because I like to. They certainly aren't armored plated, but they are tough critters.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last hog I took was with a 243win during a deer hunt. It was a head shot behind the eye and at about the base of the ear with an ugly exit. Pig was pork! Have not taken any with a big bore but hoping too soon---just for fun of course. R.

Posts: 1049 | Location: Cut-n-Shoot, Texas USA | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Rodney -- there's no better big-bore (or any bore for that matter) practice than on a live target!

Semper Fidelis