New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good combo bullet for pigs/deer?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
We have a lot of both pigs and deer where I hunt and you never know which will show up. Any opinions on a good bullet for both? I hunt with a 300saum and a 7mm. Thanks, Dave

Posts: 119 | Location: Houston | Registered: 06 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shots range from 40-300 yards

Posts: 119 | Location: Houston | Registered: 06 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I am a big fan of the North Fork bullets, but generally anything capable of a decently quick kill on a whitetail should do the same for a hog. I would exclude the ultra-fast expanding bullets like Ballistic Tips, although some have had good luck with them on hogs.

I have killed hogs with Hornady interlock softs, Norma Oryx softs (albeit in a fairly large diameter), Nosler Partitions, and Barnes X bullets. As long as you don't try to put a soft bullet through the gristle of a particularly large boar, the basic Winchester and Remington factory offering would work as well.

I like to use a tougher bullet at high velocities, so would likely stick with a premium like the X or Partition in a magnum just for insurance. If you handload the North Forks will be great. All of the above should do double duty with whitetails.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote