New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hog hunting in Georgia.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a friend from work going hog hunting in GA in March. He said he has to hunt with weapons allowed to be used during small game season. Basically this means he is taking a .22 magnum. He said that is what he used down there last year also and it worked fine. I want to plan on a hunt next year but I want to hunt when I can use a centerfire. Is there anyone here who knows the rules for Georgia?

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow no one from Georgia or has hunted there who can help me out?

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
http://www.georgiawildlife.com/hunting

There is a link to the hunting regs. I didn't search for your answer. I'll let you do that.

During regular firearm deer seasons, you can use centerfire for hogs too. It's the after deer season time when centerfires are not allowed for hogs. I suppose what the law is about is to help avoid poaching. I dunno if it works or not.

Also, most likely the same rules don't apply everywhere. For example there may be some black powder areas, or seasons.

I'm also uncertain about hunting outside the wildlife management areas. I know the rimfire rule applies in the WMAs, so if that's where you plan to hunt, then centerfire is not allowed outside the normal deer seasons.

This is one case where I would take a 22 WRM hog hunting, since that's what is allowed, or not go at all. Could be interesting. I'm like you though - I would rather use a centerfire.

As I recall, hogzilla came from GA. The 22WRM seems like a bit small for such a critter.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use anything you want on private property year round 365 days a year...wild life management areas or wma's have differnt rules...you must have a wma stamp to hunt these and to hunt hog during small game season you must use small game weapons...which are
muzzle loaders
shotgun's with shot size restictions...it's something like ..nothing larger than #2 or #4 /no buckshot allowed
22 rimfires
longbows,recurves,compounds,crossbows
hope this helps tu2
like i said ...if you stay on private property you can hunt'em with a 460 weatherby if you like rotflmo tu2good luck
Most south ga. hunters use a dog and a knife tu2

Centerfire rifles for hogs are allowed on the wma hunts for biggame when they allow hunters on the property for deer,bear,hogs,,some will have a special hog only hunt...but these dates are differnt everyyear and you need to see the regs. for the hunt dates...call the DNR social circle ranger office they can help with any and all questions you may ever have...

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys the muzzleloader rule is one we were not sure of. I don't see if you can use ball like you would during deer season or must use shot like small game hunting. I would have no problem taking my .62 cal flint rifle.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

one of us
posted Hide Post
you can use anything you like in a muzzleloader,ball/sabot bullet or shot,now muzzleloaders can be scoped....if thats your thing....good luck tu2

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blackbearhunter:
you can use anything you like in a muzzleloader,ball/sabot bullet or shot,now muzzleloaders can be scoped....if thats your thing....good luck tu2

Thanks for the info. If I have to go during the small game season I would rather use my .62 flint rifle over a .22mag.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
I think a 22 mag would be a better choice than a 223. Roll Eyes

KB

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot well over 100 with a 22 WMR. I get the full metal jacket bullets and brain them. It works very well.

Posts: 11987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Larry wait till you hit a pig with that new toy of yours, head shots only. They do not move period.

Mike Eeker

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike:

We will give a try when we go turkey hunting . I can't wait to blast one.

Posts: 11987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Most south ga. hunters use a dog and a knife

That's how I learned to do it when I lived in So. Georgia...Heck of an adventure...!!
To be honest...most of the hogs we caught were released. "Catch and release" hog hunting was a new concept to me...but it's a heck of a way to spend the day. Now and then one would be killed for a hog roast, but most were released for another day's chase.

Posts: 953 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote