Find
Notify
Tools

"Boaring" Weekday
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted
I thought I'd share a quick note, a few photos, and a couple of videos from this past week. Now that the crawfish season is over and oil in the Gulf, there isn't a whole lot going on this summer, especially at the hunting camp. Unfortunately for the pigs, however, the focus does get shifted onto them more than the other times of year. We have been trapping them all summer, but I still like to murder them the old fashioned way... HOT LEAD.

The food plots are totally grown over and difficult to see anything in, but I still made a sweltering evening hunt being bitten by bugs and blasting a snake literally coiled around the ladder of the box blind. Can you believe the nerve of that serpent? Anyway, besides losing a pint of blood due to mosquitoes, it was uneventful.

The following morning, I took a ride in the new camp toy, a Polaris Ranger EV. Talk about quiet! There's a little video below to give you an idea of how silent it really is. We have a Kabota RTV as well, but that ol' diesel engine doesn't hold a candle to this new rig for just getting around. Heavy duty work might be a different story, but overall maneuverability and off-road prowess goes to the Ranger hands down. I digress...

With all the tall grass in the fields, the hogs tend to work their way through them in the mornings when the dew is still on the leaves. I imagine it is because their fat asses don't have any sweat glands. Knowing this, I gingerly crept down one of the roads leading to the field with the intentions of getting to a vantage point to watch for movement. Well, as luck would have it, just as I entered the field I heard (yes, heard while slowly driving) a hog snorting his way through the field. I stopped, got out, watched for movement, and finally saw him feeding/waddling his way towards me. Anxious to try out the new .450 Bushmaster upper, I dialed down the scope and shouldered the rifle. At a measly 35 yards, he made himself visible as he exited the tall grass, presenting me with a quartering shot. I sent a hot piece of Hornady 250 grain SST lead at approximately 2,150 feet per second through the right-sided neck/shoulder junction which minced both lungs and his heart before exiting the contralateral side just below the diaphragm. Needless to say, the little fella didn't so much as twitch. Post-mortem shots are below. (I forgot to get heart and lung shots, dammit.)

Please excuse the wild-eyed fellow holding a handgun and large knife. He just finished his general surgery internship a couple of weeks ago and has a lot of pent up anger issues, understandably. This trip was part of his "therapy." The other part of his therapy was sending him home with this eater-sized hog which was subsequently marinated whole, smoked for hours over low heat, and devoured at a park on the banks of the Mississippi river during a pre-celebratory celebration of a raucous all-night bachelor party in New Orleans.

Hope you enjoy the pics and (crappy) videos.

(Video) First Night's Stand

Notice the rooting damage here. This is a very small example of what they have done throughout our property. KILL 'EM ALL!!!!

(Video)

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Looks like fun!

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing. I always enjoy the "autopsy" photos as I am a stickler for charting bullet performance.

And it sounds like the piggie made for some scrumptious table fare. Heck, your vivid description is making me hungry as I write this.

Been fighting migraines most of the day, but your post is sending me to the fridge to see what I can scrounge up. It won't measure up to that smoked piggie, I am sure.

Thanks again for sharing the story and photos. tu2 tu2

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With the "pent-up anger issues" better your buddy does surgery on feral hogs than on people right now. Keep us posted where he goes into practice so we can be "fore-warned". Wink

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice piggie!! tu2 tu2

Oh yea, +1 on what dustoffer said. Buddy looks a little wild with that knife. knife Big Grin

Posts: 221 | Location: florida big bend | Registered: 14 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Kenati-

Nice shot with the .450! -Glad y'all enjoyed your outing and the marinated/ smoked porker.

beer

The photos and story are appreciated... but I dare not ask for videos from the bachelor party in N'Awhlins.

popcorn

BTW... please send our sincere best wishes from us AR folk to the happy couple...

clap

and hearty congrats to your wild-eyed friend regarding his general surgery internship!

tu2