Find
Notify
Tools

Round Nose Bullets on Boars.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted
Anyone shot round nose bullets at piggies? I've got about 500 Hornady .338 250G Roundnoses that were given to me. I'm going to work up a load in my .338WM to see how they shoot.

Are they good enough for pigs?

Jeff

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Round nose bullets shouldn't make much of a difference on terminal performance, especially on pigs as they will be shot at relatively close range. The 338 WM should efficiently put down any "piggie" on this planet.

Have used often 117 gr. Hornady .257 cal round nose bullets in a 250 Savage 99. I guess it's ballistically like a scaled down 338 WM. No problems in the killing area, as I only have scaled down porkers where I hunt, no monster stuff.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 622 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That .338 with 250 RN bullets will stomp pigs quite effectively. At 200 yards or less RN bullets are very effective, beyond that they lose alot of velocity and trajectory suffers.

.22 LR Ruger M77/22
30-06 Ruger M77/MkII
.375 H&H Ruger RSM

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Hi Jeff,

I'd bet they'll do pretty well.

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2508 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never used anything but roundnose bullets in my Whelen on hogs and have never regreted the choice. They work great.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roundnose should be just fine. They are my
first choice. The 338 for pigs can be loaded
down and should be very accurate.
Good Hunting
Raff

Posts: 461 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aloha Kyler,

They do work good! Cheap bullets kill as good as premium bullets. Of course, gun writers with the advertising pressure will not want to go there. Maybe we can get a good discussion on this thread on CHEAP VS. PREMIUM aka quantity vs. quality.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 622 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot 300 grain 375 H&H at hogs. Never had a problem. The only one I ever recovered shot through a large grapevine before hitting the hog.

Posts: 125 | Location: Coalgate, Oklahoma | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
cfore,

Which 300gr .375 bullet did you use?

Cheap v Premium? I'd say 90% of game shots can be easily handled with standard cup n core bullets. Premiums only give you that slight edge in less than 10% of the cases where the shot angle is bad or you've got a fleeing animal and MAXIMUM penetration is needed for a tail-pipe shot for example. Premiums can also give you an edge when you're employing a rifle that's a bit light for the game you're after - the premium may give you a bit more penetration to get the job done.

.22 LR Ruger M77/22
30-06 Ruger M77/MkII
.375 H&H Ruger RSM

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot a few pigs with the 300 gr Honday RN from my .375 H7H and it kills them like chain lightening.....................had better results with that load than with my 30/06 loaded with 165 gr Ballistic tips.

Those 250 gr .338 Round Noses will be excellent !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The roundnose bullets I shoot are Hornady. I whot one the other day with a 300 grain TSX. Died just the same. However, it did make a huge entry wound on the inside of the rib cage and broke three ribs at the spine. The exit wound was about the size of a quarter in front of the shoulder.

Most of the hogs I shoot are right at dark so I like to have a nice blood trail.

Out of 43 hogs I've kept record on the average distance shot was 47 yard and the distance traveled after the shot was 48 yards. These are best guesses so I sure I'm off but not too far. These hogs were shot with everything from bows to 375 H&H. Very few bullets were premium most were Speer Hotcore and Hornady Interlock bullets.

Posts: 125 | Location: Coalgate, Oklahoma | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I will see how accurate a load I can work up for them. My .338 is finicky - but with 500 of them, I should be able to find something it likes.

Jeff

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote