New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trophy Quality Boars
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone know of a ranch that has big trophy quality russian boars? I am talking 300 Lbs +

Thanks,
Ahmed

Posts: 214 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 26 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SwiftShot
posted Hide Post
What state helps narrow down the field.

Posts: 433 | Location: Washington state USA  | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Knowing what state will narrow your choices, but I know I sound like a broken record, but Cedar Ridge Farms in Missouri has exactly what you are looking for. The hogs are trucked in from Canada and are not ferals, they are European stock. Nicest looking boars I have ever seen and shot period. http://www.cedarridgehunting.com

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You need to consider something else also. Most Russian boar or Russian type boar (long snout, straight tail, brisstled hair down the back, striped at birth) dont go very much over 300lbs. At least not the ones in the Texas Hill country. The Russian Boar, not the feral, is more narrow in the waiste, thick through the chest and prone to larger tusk. Most of the true Russians I've caught or killed with trophy size tusk were in the 250-275 range. Few went over 300lbs. They are more athletic than their feral cousins (think middle linebacker, not offensive lineman).

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Ryan couldn't be more correct, pure european wild boars tend to be lighter in weight but with better tusks.
L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting that they are brought in from Canada as we usually think of hog hunting as an American thing. There is a farm around Edmonton that advertises Russian wild boar hunting. I called the guy and he charges around a buck a pound if I remember right for an American coming here that might be a deal--I dunno. The guy says you can hunt with anything that's legal: black powder, bow, rifle, crossbow. I think handguns are out. He says that even though these are on fenced land that they are quite hard to hunt and that it's challenging. I might look at it with my bow this winter.

the chef

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I encourage you to check out their site and see what I am talking about. Their hogs look nothing like the multitudes of hogs that I have taken in Florida. And they do regularly go over 300 lbs. In fact that wild boar that I have seen here in Europe regularly go over 300 lbs as well.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
300 lbs are the same that 150 kilos.
Thats a resonable weight for a big male here also. They even can reach 180 kilos if they are with good food (crops season), but I believe that pure ones tend to be not very heavy. I read that in central Europe there are very big ones but here a 300lbs is a very nice male and not an everyday trophy.

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Once again you are wrong, my friend: 1 pound=0.45356 kilos. Thus a 300 pounder equals 136 kilos jump
And Gardel was born at Toulouse. Big Grin

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Ceder ridge looks like a place to check out. I am in Virginia so SC, Tenn & Florida might me closer.

Ahmed

Posts: 214 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 26 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ahmed,
Just curious to see if you went on your hunt and how it went.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Anyone know the contact information for the place in Edmonton Alberta?

Thanks.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote