New
Find
Notify
Tools

Caught A
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
big one.Night before last I went out with just Mason, Lucy, and Heyena to catch some pigs in a wheat field.As it happens no one was home so I went across the road to an old peanut field and I had my helper looking through the NV scanning the field when he said stop I think I see a pig a big pig. Sure enough there was a big pig feeding in the field.We took the dogs on a leash and started walking toward him.When we got to within 50 yds we unleashed the dogs and I hit him with a spotlight and let the dogs go.Straight to him they went and he made it about 75 yds before Heyena caught him. Mason an Lucy was close and helped seal the deal.While I was going to them he made the dogs look small.After all was over we noticed blood on Heyena and she was poked in the neck. The tooth penetrated the vest and cut her in the neck. As I was trying out a new minitruck I didn't have my sewing gear with me so I wrapped her up with vetwrap to stop the bleeding nd we came on home where I let her sleep next to my bed to keep an eye on her.The next morning she was doing well so I unwrapped her and stapled the wound closed and she will be good to in about a week. I took the boar down to Los Cazadores and weighed him at 291 lbs.After seeing him hanging I can see why he made the dogs look small. He was 75.5 inches from tip of nose to tip of tail.

Posts: 157 | Location: Pearsall, Tex. | Registered: 25 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
That's one helluva hog! Always nice to read that a hog was actually weighed. Glad to here your dogs are well. Thanks for sharing.

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

Posts: 369 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
Congrats!@@ beer ... That's a big pig

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good read and fine pics, now we know what a 300# hog looks like up close. We can use this to judge the others against.
Thanks for sharing with us. Glad it worked out well with the dog. Do you put anything in those holes to kill infection? I sure would, but, haven't heard. I'd think those tusks would be about as nasty a thing that could stick anyone or anything. I sure wouldn't want one to get me.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6019 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you put anything in those holes to kill infection?

I keep them on Baytril for 5 days and betadyne before I close.

Posts: 157 | Location: Pearsall, Tex. | Registered: 25 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Nice!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow good one! It sure does make a lot of 300# hogs look puny, and it's nice to see what one really should look like.

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
That is a honker of a hog! He has lots of "russian" blood.

Congrats!

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Dang, Duckman, that is one big SOB!! Nice work! beer

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whitworth, you misspelled "SOW", and it isn't: it's a boar! jumping

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doubless:
Whitworth, you misspelled "SOW", and it isn't: it's a boar! jumping

You obviously need to brush up on your expletives! LOL! Big Grin

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a monster!

Posts: 318 | Location: Jackson, Wyoming | Registered: 20 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Helluva hog, duckman. Congrats!

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote