New
Find
Notify
Tools

Arkansas hogs?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm going down to Camp Robinson, AR this coming Jan (N. Little Rock) and have been scouring the web for any information on feral hogs in AR. Figured if I could set something up after my training was done I'd stay a few days and do a little hog hunting somewhere w/in a few hours of there before heading back to this frozen north. I'll be there the last week of Jan. and am wondering if anyone her might be able to give some first-hand pointers/info on where to start.

Thanks for any info you might share!

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1183 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want to drive 3 hours you can come hunt hogs on my place in Texas for free. Right now I can kill multiple hogs anyday. I let about 50 of them keep grazing today because I didn't want to fool with them on Christmas. But things change and by the end of January we might not even see one. Hopefully you can find a closer spot, but, if not, I'll let you know the situation as time grows closer.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gatogordo,
That's mighty gracious of you, and I'll keep in touch. Another 3 hours would be more than acceptable to me for the opportunity. I've read a bunch about the WMA's in AR and although some say they're all over the place, I think it's spotty and it would take some prior knowledge to get in on them within a reasonable time frame without lucking into an area where they are active. I'll keep your offer in mind.

Matt

one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone else with some info on AR hogs? I have a few general ideas on where to start on a few wildlife areas, and I'll be talking to a few locals once I get there too. Gato, I sent you a PM w/ a few questions too. Anyway it will at least be nice to get south for a week out of this frozen hell we have going on here.

Matt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Camp Robinson has a few hogs on it. Pond Creek NWR, Overflow NWR, Felsenthal NWR, and White River NWR all have hogs (more than Camp Robinson). There are tons of state wildlife management areas with hogs with Cut-Off Creek WMA, Trusten Holder WMA and Sulpher River WMA probably being the best. The bad part is that even if you go to public land with a lot of hogs the chances of walking up on one is pretty slim. You could sit and hope that a hog walks up on you but they are mainly nocturnal and you might have to hunt a lot before that happens. Baiting would help a lot but you can't bait on public land. If you were going to be here long-term I would suggest getting in a hunting club somewhere in the southern part of the state (with the most hogs) where you could bait. You can routinely kill hogs that way. Good luck.

Posts: 43 | Location: Central Arkansas | Registered: 18 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Macs B
posted Hide Post
Give Chaffee a try. Last time I was there it was over run with both boar and pig.

Macs B
U.S. Army Retired
Alles gut!

Posts: 378 | Location: USA | Registered: 07 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I was planning on stillhunting through those areas and predator calling with the hope of calling in either gray fox or even bobcat since those species are not as common back home. In the event I ran across some fresh hog sign, then I'd go into hunt mode for pigs. That was the plan until Gatogordo graciously offered hunting on his place which sounds like a better bet, although the weather may can that idea but I'm hopefull. Still will check out some of those mentioned. Sulphur River WMA was my #1 back-up.

Matt

one of us
posted Hide Post

Thanks GatoGordo! I got home today at 2:00 this afternoon and I have three pigs cleaned up and in the freezer. Wish I stayed a little longer but it was a great experience and I thank you for the quick hunt. This is a pic of one of the three I shot, two were about this size and one was a little 50lber.

Matt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some good eatin there Matt.
Glad you got some pigs and had a
chance to meet ol'gato in person.
How's the snow n cold up north again?
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The cold sucks, - teens this morning. Little jealous of the southern members this time of year...

Matt

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matt salm:

Thanks GatoGordo! I got home today at 2:00 this afternoon and I have three pigs cleaned up and in the freezer. Wish I stayed a little longer but it was a great experience and I thank you for the quick hunt. This is a pic of one of the three I shot, two were about this size and one was a little 50lber.

I enjoyed meeting you and am glad you had a successful mini-hunt. Considering you were there for all of about 8 daylight hours, and killed and skinned 3 pigs by yourself during that time frame, I think you are a good hunter and lucky to boot.

Next time, I'll try to get you on some full sized hogs, not those minis you seem to prefer..... Big Grin ......not to mention the elusive giant Texas armadillos....bring a larger gun, I'm not sure that .338-06 would stop a charge..... Big Grin

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Like I said Gato, I couldn't have asked for or expected any more and again, I really appreciate the opportunity. I was thinking about the 'dillo's and figured a little .22 pistol on the hip would have been the better option to collect a trophy for my taxidermist friend. Next time I'll be sure and make plans for a few good full days where I can walk a bit more and find that big red pig down on the south end. Again, many thanks and I have your address in a PM, if that's correct you'll be getting a care package of WI cheeses soon.

Matt

Matt