New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best time of year for pig, meat wise?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have heard different things, what is the best time of year, for CA pigs, to hunt them to get the best tasting meat?

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Red, I cannot speak for Calif. but I have shot pigs here in Texas in every month, and in every type of weather from snow on the ground to temps of 100 degrees.
When hunting in hot weather I get the meat on ice pretty quick.
I only let the meat hang over night if the temp will be down to 45 degrees or below.

I have not been able to tell any difference in the meat.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Red, I shoot quite a few hogs each year and cannot tell any difference. I think their diet has more effect than anything else.

The very best ones I have killed have been over near Paso Robles and were eating barley every night. Hoever, I guess I have been lucky, I have never had a bad one.

We kill them quite often east of Fresno where they are eating the heck out of oranges on the ground, they taste just fine.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dago Red,

I grew up in east Texas and we were always told by the old timers it was best not to eat small game and hogs until after the first freeze. However over the last twenty years or so I have also shot and skinned hogs every month of the year. As previously stated, if the temp is above 50 degrees or so I try to have my hogs skinned and on ice within an hour or two at most after they have been killed. In fact most of the time we take the tenders and marinate with some teriyaki sauce, garlic powder, Tony Chacheries seasoning and throw them on the grill over some mesquite coals, cook them about medium well and "pig out"
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Red;
We have been hunting hogs year round in
Central Cal. for years. It just doesn't
matter what time of year you take one. What
does matter is how well you handle the meat
and how quick you can get the pig hung, clean
and cooled. Like R Flowers said, barley eating
hogs do fix up well. If you can find a wine
grape grower witrh a hog problem, they also
are tasty.
Good Luck
Raff

Posts: 460 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
I HAVE TO AGREE THAT IT JUST DOESENT MATTER

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only time I've had a problem with the season was spring hunting in W TX. Wild onions seemed to be everywhere and the hogs were going to town on them. Not only do the hogs smell like wild onions, the meat is too "oniony" to eat. Other than that, I shoot and eat hogs all year long.

Posts: 203 | Registered: 09 September 2006Reply With Quote