Find
Notify
Tools

Hog bait: What do you use? Is it good?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of befus
posted
Lots of folks say hogs just luck onto bait and don't come to it. Others say certain things draw them in. Which theory do you subscribe to, and what bait do you use in either case.

befus

Posts: 241 | Location: Beautiful NW Arkansas | Registered: 27 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Corn works well in areas where the hog population is good. Leave it in the same place often enough and they will soon be checking for it. They will have to come across it by smell or luck at first, although you can increase the odds by placing it near trails or water, especially where there is good sign.

Some people like to sour the corn with fruity jello and water, letting the mixture ferment. I've found that if the hogs are there in numbers they will come in to plain old corn.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Corn, mostly out of deer feeders, works well enough on my place so that we don't try the fancier mixtures.

A friend raved about the results they were getting farther West with "Hog Wild" which you can or could buy at Walmarts. I found a couple of bags on sale and tried it. The hogs did come but not noticeably any better than with just corn. It smells like they've got some kind of strawberry jello mix added to it but I didn't take a taste to confirm..... Razzer

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote