New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Tale of Two Hogs
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
As I type this I just finished eating a shoulder roast of the 325lb Boar I killed last March. I wish I could find a couple of his twin brothers as he is one of the best wild hogs I have ever eaten.
Now for the tale of hog number 2.
Last weekend on Sat I killed a doe deer with my 450 No2. Now I needed a pig so I can make some sausage.
On Sun I was hunting a place I call "The Pig Hole". I sit in the woods and hunt on the edge of where the land drops off and forms a little flat area right next to the river. About 530pm I see a pig approaching. I pick up my 9,3x74R Chapuis double and get ready. As the pig approaches I see several little piglets. I NEVER shoot a sow with young. Soon there are 5 females and @18 piglets.
Two of the females are pretty big, about 250lbs or so. They are @25 to 30 yards away. After a minute of two I see a male pig approach. Before he can get in the group I raise my rifle and shoot. As I am close to the river and do not want him to reach it and swim across so I decide to shoot him in the shoulder instead of my usual place just behind it. I hit him with a 286gr. Woodleigh soft point. I can see him take the impact, but instead of going down, he spins a 180 and begins to run [Eek!] , I track him in the scope, and just as I start to shoot he runs into a low branch and it completly stops him. I swing past him, manage to stop my trigger finger, swing back on him, allow another pig that is passing between me and the shot pig to go by, and shoot my second bbl behind the shoulder. This is where a double rifle shines. [Wink] The pig falls over. When I reload and get to him he is dead.
Shot number 1 hit on the right shoulder and exited just behind the left. It split the heart open, almost cutting it in half, and shreaded both lungs. Two ribs were broken on the entrance and exit side. This is one of the few pigs that has left a blood trail. Probably because the exit would was lower than the entrance wound due to the fact that I was higher than the pig. The second shot broke a rib on the way in and out.
The nice thing about the 9,3 is that the meat does not get badly bloodshot.
I had to use rope and the vehicle to pull him up out of the "pig Hole". At the "scene" I told my wife I thought he would weigh 185 to 200 lbs. When we weighed him he tipped the scales at 210 lbs. After he was gutted he weighed 170lbs.
So the good news is...Tommorrow I grind Sausage. [Big Grin]

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats there '450, what kind of sausage are you making?
I shot a #220 piggie today with my 22lr, and spent the day cutting and grinding meat. My hunting buddy bought a meat bandsaw/grinder from harbor freight last year...I love it. 60 pounds of ground pork in 15 minutes plus loins and sides, I am going to try to make some honey cured bacon.

Good luck and good shooting,
Eterry

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Very good story,incredible how these animals can run after receiving a 286 grain candy [Smile]

We also do some sausages, we call them "chorizos"
Thanks for sharing.
LG

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote