THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HOG HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hogs, Warthogs, Wild Boars, Javelinas Hunting    End of Long Dry Spell--Bobby Look at What Your Trap Did!

Moderators: Whitworth
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

End of Long Dry Spell--Bobby Look at What Your Trap Did!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well, it's been quite a while--just been too hot to sit, and they've been trap shy big time. Plus, I've been getting ready for bow season opener next week--

But, had to go check cameras and decided what the heck, I'll bait the traps and see what happens. So, when I drove up this morning, this is the first thing I see:

I give them their .22-cal headache, drag 'em out and load 'em in the truck, and head to the field dressing station at the rear of the ranch. On the way, I take a peek at my other trap at the feeder. Big Grin

Holy Toledo Batman! Bobby--your trap does just fine!!!!

Talk about a PITA getting 12 carcasses out of this trap which has barbed wire across the door to keep the calves out and it too low for this old guy to knee-walk inside. But, I got 'er done, loaded up all 12 and proceeded on to the field dressing station. I called a couple of pig reception stations on the way and got acceptance on some of them, but not all, and I am thankful that I didn't have to do all 12. Get that finished and head back -- oh yeah, I still have one more trap to check, at the rifle range. Drive up and here we go again-

These 3 are a bit larger, and I have no more takers or empty freezers, so they went to the buzzard buffet.

Guess I have to say it was a good day--5 + 12 + 3 for a total of 20 pasture root-plowing swine removed from the environment. Rancher sure was happy.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
hey there Dustoffer.

Good on ya'.

Glad to see your still among the land of the living.

I've told my buds when I'm missing one day and they roll up and see that I died in the deer stand, to roll me out and let the hogs recycle me. Lord knows it would be good Karma. I've certainly ate enough of them.

Figured maybe the hogs had recycled you,its been so long since you posted.

Nice work by the way.

Best,

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Lot of damn work, but a good haul. Congratulations. tu2 beer

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
That's a good days work. Big Grin

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Posts: 8696 | Location: MO | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good haul for the traps. Cheers Mick

Posts: 104 | Registered: 15 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
About those "leftover" pigs; just wondering if there's a butcher shop near you that takes game to process for local churches, foodbanks, etc? I shot a big cow eland and couldn't take all the meat home. A processor in Dublin TX ground up the rest for their county food program...

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Nice going, dustoffer! Your work has just begun!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
joester--that's something I'll check into--I know the Hunters for the Hungry program won't take feral hogs however.

one of us
posted Hide Post
great work dustoffer! I know Hunters for the Hungry will not take them, but my local deer processor will do them on his own and take them to the local needy. Something to try.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man, 20 pigs in one day?
Is that a record?
Glad you didn't have to butcher 'em all alone.

Wish we were closer, I'd like to of had some of that meat. Oh well, buzzards have to eat too huh?

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can I ask where this is? I would one day like to drive someplace in my pick-up truck with a freezer in the back, and drive home with the freezer full of pig.

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
frank4570--I'm in central south Texas, just east of San Antonio. I'd be happy to share my abundance with anyone, but in these temps, you better be here quick as they start bloating in about 30 minutes---

Now, come January/February after deer season is over and it's cooler, that's a different story. I have phone numbers on my cell of about 6-8 folks to call when I have meat. I generally gut them, cut the heads off, and deliver to the doorstep (actually streetside, as most folks don't want a bloody pig carcass on their front stoop).

georgeld--that's my largest 1-day haul to date. I have caught 13 in that first picture of the round trap before, and I have a larger round trap about 30' across that I caught 16 in another time.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Baited the pen trap last night--had 4 this morning, if you count the small b & w on top of pile. Don't know why it just didn't squeeze out through the cattle panel--