New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dang, DANG, DANG!!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Had an east wind last night so opted to sit the bow tripod 20 yds from the feeder w/shotgun and buckshot hoping to get a "skillet shot" as I have a bunch of "frying-sized" pigs coming to the feeder. Got in the seat at 7:20 after setting off the feeder twice. Quiet for a while, then a gobbler starts in, and in about 10 minutes a hen comes through, pecking a few kernels as she passed by. 15 minutes later, the guy below showed up--walked straight to the feeder. Got the safety off and the shotgun up when he stepped behind a mesquite-then he turned and started away. Oh NO says I-and blam. Well WTF Confused ??? Hog squealed, reared on his hind legs, then hit the ground--but running. First step was a stumble, but he was gone in a flash. Not a drop of blood or sign found in an hour of looking. Back to the place tomorrow to do a buzzard check-shows what happens when you get greedy. Should have been in my regular spot with my .22-250 and it would have been bang-flop.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Hey it happens! Hope you do find him tomorrow. Keep us posted!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't like buckshot for just that reason. Good side shot on the ribs, dead pig, otherwise, possibly/likely lost pig. I've heard very good reports on hevi-shot buckshot but haven't tried it.

Most of us who've shot a lot of pigs have done it, myself certainly included, but I hate to have anything run off wounded. It was a shot that should not have been taken. Better luck next time.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a shotgun for birds. For everything else, I carry a rifle.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gatogordo--I hear you, but have killed a bunch with buckshot to the head at 20 yds. Maybe a bad shot on my part, but not because it isn't a lethal combo--

And, I agree, if I'd been in my usual spot with my usual .22-250, it would have been a dead pig in his tracks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think this may be the same boar I shot--left shoulder is swollen--and if so, I didn't get much penetration from the #4 buckshot at 23 yards-

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
from the #4 buckshot

Some of us would disagree that #4 is buckshot. While I've never used a shotgun on pigs, this is the internet and in addition to the six-pack abs and stunning good looks it gives me, it makes me an expert on using shotguns on pigs. Cool

In all seriousness, I'm not sure that #4 is enough for a decent size pig under almost any circumstance.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not #4 shot, as would be used on ducks, etc, but #4 buckshot--the load had 27 pellets, each .25" in diameter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
that should be big enough pellet and enough of them with a decent shot. Maybe you just made a bad shot that time. It happens I'm told.
Better luck next time and get this infected guy sooner than later so he don't suffer forever.

In Fla the biggest boar I shot had a huge infection inside one hind qtr from getting hooked.
Long scratch from belly across between hind legs and puncture wound healed up but, infected enough inside we tossed the qtr rather than trying to trim it out.
He also had a long scratch scar under his jaw & throat too. Fighters get cut up huh?
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6017 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
00 buck at less than 15 yards maybe you can stretch it to 20 with proper loads and choke? Otherwise slugs. I would think unless you made a headshot with #4 on a decent size pig penetration would be limited to not get in the vitals. You need weight to get penetration.

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Lots of people attribute a lot more effectivness to buckshot than it deserves. And they are difficult to reason with. It's almost as bad as with the 223. Wink The reasoning and the actual effectivness.

Buckshot is a great wounder of deer and hogs. It can be effective within a very short range, and somewhat further on stuff like coyotes, but people who choose to use it, somehow inevitably get the notion that it's more than it really is.

There are actually lots of guys who think it's a good choice for brown bear. Imagine that !!! It's like imagining just how pissed off a brown bear can get, especially if he's already close enough, and how much damage can one of those monsters actually do to human flesh? Yuk.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Many years ago, for work I did a bunch of Buck Shot testing.

For pigs I would use nothing less than Single Ought, and 00 is better, IMHO.

And I would prefer a slug.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
#4 buckshot is .24" diameter, weighs less than 21 grains, and I expect it was going significantly less than 1000ft/sec when it hit the pig. Even with a full choke, the pattern would be pretty wide open at 23 yards with only 27 pellets. Your #4 buckshot might be effective on a hog at 23 feet, but 23 yards is a definite stretch.

To get an idea of the actual pattern, why don't you shoot a 4'x4' piece of paneling or cardboard with that load at 23 yards.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Supercracker
posted Hide Post
A few years back I killed a pig in TX that had 3 buckshot pellets under the skin in his forehead right between the eyes.

Also had a BH in a cyst in his hip.

Tough, mean little guy. He tried to eat me. lol

Posts: 65 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 27 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After almost 30 years of control work on coyotes and hogs in Texas, testing many, many calibers, loads, bullets, and at all ranges and conditions here, I wholeheartedly agree with those experienced hands that conclude above that buckshot is a very poor killer and is more likely a wounding agent for most animals and especially hogs. It is a poor choice on the ground, up close, and is even a poorer choice for aerial gunning. While many experienced control aerial gunners shoot copper plated BB's for coyote, I can't list how many coyotes I've called and shot, trapped or snared only to skin them and find embedded copper plated BB's in their shoulders, neck muscles, hips, spine muscles, etc., with minor effect. If used, it should be considered for a head shot only, for most occassions.

I know that thousands of coyotes have been successfully taken from a helicopter or super cub using some pellet from a shotgun, but most were taken by very experienced and skilled gunners shooting head shots and no fewer than two to three shots per coyote from above. While it might sound controversial, I would go as far as to offer that shooting a shotgun while calling coyotes in the daytime is a crutch for poor calling technique or to make sensational video, but not as the tool of a professional.

For hogs, shotgun pellets of any size are inadequate. If a shotgun is a poor choice on a charging leopard, think of the silliness for considering it as a good choice for close quarters work with a determined, angry, armor plated hog. I'll take a fast pointing, open-sighted double in .45 caliber or larger every time. It always ruins their day and drains their desire to get in your pants.

Posts: 97 | Location: Texas | Registered: 21 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Gill:
.... as a good choice for close quarters work with a determined, angry, armor plated hog. I'll take a fast pointing, open-sighted double in .45 caliber or larger every time. It always ruins their day and drains their desire to get in your pants.

In the situation you described, among my choices would be some of this:

http://www.benelliusa.com/shot...va_pump_tactical.php

http://www.benelliusa.com/shot...pernova_tactical.php

http://www.benelliusa.com/shotguns/benelli_m4.php

http://www.benelliusa.com/shot...pernova_tactical.php

http://www.benelliusa.com/shot...elli_m2_tactical.php

Ammo of choice:

Throwing lead, 600grs a pop, at 1500fps. Big Grin

http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/241.html

I think any of the above combos would be a good choice for brown bear too, but the problem is that it's rather specialized for real close up work. That's why I've got a 45 cal rifle for such use, to extend the range.

KB

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TriBAll by Dixie Slugs
The only buckshot that works every time.

Cheers, John

Give me COFFEE and nobody gets hurt

Posts: 1608 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote