Notify
Tools

30-30 and Hogs
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Greetings Hog Heaven
This is my first post.
I have a few questions. This Hog hunting sounds like fun. I have never hunted them and would like to know if my Marlin 30-30 would be OK to use on these critters. It has a 4 X scope on it and I have some really great 170 grain Speer loads that shoot an honest 1 1/4 quarter inch three shot groups at 100 yards. ( This took me over a year to develop.) The loads are stiff and a hair under Maximum. I know that many folks have taken Black bear in our area with the load stated above. Are hogs hard to put down ? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

30-30 Man

one of us
posted Hide Post
Your 30-30 Win. will do just fine, just keep your shots within a reasonable distance.
Fordfreak

Posts: 274 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: 04 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No worries, it will whack 'em and stack 'em if you put it in the right spot.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hawaiian_Hunter
posted Hide Post
30-30 is one of the more popular rounds for pigs here in the islands. My neighbors largest boar of over 400 lbs. was dropped with one round of 30-30 170 grain, just place your shots and keep it under 150 yards. Most pigs I shott are under 50 yards away. Happy Hunting!

Posts: 158 | Location: Moku Manu, Hawai'i | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone. I would love to hunt these beasts some day with my 30-30. I am going to see if there are any around in Oregon.

30-30 Man