New
Find
Notify
Tools

First helicopter hog hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
We went on my first helicopter hog hunt today. Near San Angelo, Texas. It was pretty wild. Took 20 hogs . Saw some monster bucks .

Trying again tomorrow.

Posts: 11955 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
who did you fly with?

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2827 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Texas Specialty Helicopter out of the Divided Find Ranch.

We shot 96 this morning.

This is a hell of a lot of fun. Not at all easy . Glad I did it .

Posts: 11955 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just curious. On the ranches they fly over, do they also have deer hunters in the field?

Seems to be a weird time to have flyovers. If I had a deer lease, I would hate to have hog hunters blasting away.

I just always assumed the helicopter hunting was done outside of deer season.

Posts: 13772 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
Just curious. On the ranches they fly over, do they also have deer hunters in the field?

Seems to be a weird time to have flyovers. If I had a deer lease, I would hate to have hog hunters blasting away.

I just always assumed the helicopter hunting was done outside of deer season.

No deer hunters at the time .

one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting!

Posts: 13772 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These guys have about 2.5 million acres of ranches under contract to fly. They call and get approval before they fly on a given day. Sometimes the ranchers call them to come and fly soon because things are so bad.

I do know they didn't fly some places because of deer hunting.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the mention Larry. Too bad they ignored my request for a cull WT and hog combo. Just an FYI for other AR members.
CB

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Thanks for the mention Larry. Too bad they ignored my request for a cull WT and hog combo. Just an FYI for other AR members.
CB

Sorry to hear that . Doesn’t seem good for business.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
May be some sort of a clash shooting pigs in their whitetail areas.
So, what was your chosen rifle for the hog gallery hunt?

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used their guns . They had Daniel Defense ARs in 5.56.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Who knows . It doesn’t seem like the people I met. They have no pigs at the ranch .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

It also occurs to me that they require two shooters . It’s not financially feasible to have one shooter . Regardless, they should have responded.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Yes. There is the 2 shooter rule. No matter what the deal is.... I'm glad you had fun there.
I'll keep looking for the right hunt.
Thanks.