Find
Notify
Tools

.309 JDJ and a piggie by moonlight
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted

I was fortunate enough to take this hog tonight with a really tough 170 yard shot. The moon hadn't made it much over the treeline, and this little piggy did not want to cooperate. Some shoats had gathered under the feeder, where I have an EWT green light, and I could have taken a shot and dropped several. But I wanted one of the larger, more skittish adults. But they kept away from the feeder and would even disappear for minutes at a time.

I actually had the 6mm-06 loaded up with 90 grain Deep Curls and wanted to try it out, but I also had the 309 JDJ on sand bags and ready. It's a good thing I did.

As some of you know, I had been trading things and selling off stuff in an attempt to upgrade some of my optics. Not long ago, I found a closeout on a Zeiss Diavari Victory 2.5-10x50 with #4 reticle. It proved its worth tonight as no other model that I own would have given me the resolution necessary to pull off this shot. I could see the hog with the 4-12x50 MeoPro, but I had a hard time telling head from tail-end and thus snuggled up behind the .309.

It took me a while to get lined up and make sure I had the shot I wanted, but when everything seemed OK, I sent a 150 grain Ballistic Tip downrange. The audible whap of bullet breaking bone was reassuring, but just to err on the side of caution, I waited a few minutes before heading down there.

The wait proved unnecessary. The bullet, which leaves the 23-inch barrel at around 2675 fps, took the somewhat-quartering sow through the edge of the liver and destroyed the top of the lungs before exiting the off-side shoulder. Thanks to some secondary bone fragments, the exit was larger than this bullet normally produces and about the size of a 50-cent piece. The hog made it less than 15 yards before piling up.

Please pardon the blood in the photo (one reason the image is in b&w). When it was brought to the house, it was done so with the piggy feet-up on a 4-wheeler, so the blood from both the entrance and exit ran all along the ribcage and onto the coarse, grizzled hair of the backline. I did not have time to wipe it down very well before taking the snapshot. .

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
Great report....thanks, Bobby...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Great report Bobby, glad your getting to shoot some oinkers. tu2 tu2

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
I always enjoy your dead piggy stories Bobby. Thanks for sharing with us.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still on a roll I see, you still the man. I have a german post and cross hair on a 1x4 power Lepould (sp) scope on my Winny 88. I find the reticle to be most usefull under all conditions, especially low light. Wonder why its not more popular.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hope you're feeling better these days.
Good to see you're getting out some again.
Til this one, I wasn't aware you used a feeder. Thought they just crossed the same area all the time and you've shot 'em there so much there's not much question on whether you can hit 'em or not.
Hang in there Bobby, wish you the best.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
George-You are indeed correct in that most of the hogs are caught crossing a few different openings visible from the house. But in the winter and Spring, when the whitetail does are pregnant or already have fawns, we do put out protein for them -- not to hunt but in a little sanctuary area. But once in a while, the hogs do find it, even though we try and keep it away from their predominant trails. The deer know it is there, albeit moved from time to time to thwart the hogs.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info.
A touch of lead wrapped in brass or copper "thwarts hogs" much better than moving the feeders. Though you've gotta do what works.
Glad you're posting again. How's the eye's?
Wish you well,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Good to seeing you pull the trigger again Bobby...

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
George-Yes, a little heavy metal added to the hogs' diet works wonders. Smiler

As to the vision, it varies and is influenced a bunch by the migraines. That's why I will go days at a time without even getting on the computer or even reading anything. But today is not bad, so I won't complain and will just be thankful for that.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Good to see you out whacking hogs, Bobby! Nicely done!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote