New
Find
Notify
Tools

Feral pig baiting?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What are the best bait & technique to baiting feral pigs in a harvest corn field
or dry creek bottoms this time of the year which is 25 to 45 degree F depending on the time of the day?
Is it required to have lens cover for spot lights?

one of us
posted Hide Post
oop's, I meant red lens cover for spot light.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Norseman,
we'll assume it's legal to take these at night in your area, it's a damn good idea to inform the local warden that you are going to be shooting at night

take corn, fill 3/4 of a 5 gallon bucket... that you have a good lid for, and put in 2 packets of yeast, a beer or 2, and float it in water. let it sit, covered but not closed, for a week in the garage

put this in holes you have dug with a posthole digger, about 2' deep, and only fill 1/2 the way...

setup a footswitch, or friends, and wait!!

jeffe

Posts: 38500 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted Hide Post
Here's something from the Big Game Hunting Forum. Lots of really unpleasant stuff to try:

http://www.nookhill.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=004057

Have fun

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all.
I went chukar hunting last weekend in Oregon and after hunting all day, I decided to go into town to get a soda and noticed all the town locals were standing around this Toyota pick up with two teenager standing in the bed with blood on their arms, so I figured they must have harvest an monster elk and I look in the bed and there was a black feral pig with 2 inch hair or fur throughout the entire body. They estimated that the boar weighed close to 150 pounds. So I spoked to them and they said they harvest one a week using a red len spot light before sunrise. They also said that there at 100 to 150 feral pigs still roaming around. I asked if this was legal, and they said it was perfectly legal because the feral pigs are classified as a non game & destructive. Another thing, they told me that I would be wasting my time hunting them during daylight. Is this true even when the weather is cold?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hogs will move any time to feed, but are like all game animals--it's easier to catch them out in the open at night.

The sour grain recipe cited above is perfect.

Red lenses on your light are of little use on a hog. They don't have red eyes and aren't easily spooked like 'yotes or bobcats by the bright light.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
In South Africa, they bait for bushpig at night. For light they use a normal spotlight but have it switched to a reostat so that the light can be gradually increased when feeding is detected. This supposedly avoids spooking them when the light comes on suddenly.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
The guy I hunt with in Texas kicks a shallow depression in the area he wants to watch (from a blind, tree stand, whatever), then fills it with corn and dumps Big Red soda on it. Works surprisingly well.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
THEY CAN BE FOUND IN THE DAYTIME, BUT THEY MOVE AND FEED A LOT AT NIGHT ALSO. I HAVE NEVER TOOK ONE AT NIGHT, OTHER THAN THE ONE THAT RAN UNDER MY HUNTING BUDDY'S TRUCK ONE NIGHT, BUT HAVE SEEN THEM IN THE EARLY MORNING AND LATE EVENING, GOING TO AND COMING FROM FEED SOURCE.

GOOD LUCK AND GOOD SHOOTING
ETERRY

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorite and most successfull is to wait for a hard freeze, they cut a hole in the ice and line the hole with Peas, when the hogs comes to take a Pea, kick him in the ice hole! [Razz]

I apologise!

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This started out as a coyote hunt but pigs came andd made it better. I took about 6 bags of Walmart dog treate called Ruff Cutts made by Harpers, pork flavor and drove down the road across the property dropping one about every 15 or 30 feet till all but one bag was empty. I set up about in the middle of this line by putting a 3 foot wide strip of painters tarp along the far side of the road with a fishing greenlight reflecting on it, this to get a good silhouette of any coyote that showed up. The tarp is about 12 feet long and I threw out the last bag in front of it. I hid in the brush across the dirt road about 40 yards and waited. I was shooting a Contender in 30-30 with a red dot sight on it and using 37 grains of H4895 behind a 130 grain Speer HP. About 9 oclock a group of 15 or so pigs came down the road fighting over the dog treats and when they got in front of the tarp a rumble started. I finally got a clear shot and hit a good one in the neck though I didn't know it at the time as the muzzle flash blinded me. As my vision returned there lay a sow of around 200 pounds. The bullet came apart but did shatter the vertabrae blasting some out the other side. As to using red lenses on your night light, some areas where the pigs are real spooky yes but the lense reduces the distance you can see the hogs as they are mostly dark colored. I like setting up a green light with a battery to shine on a flat reflective surface such as a strip of painters tarp instead of having a light mounted on my rifle.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote