Find
Notify
Tools

my hog "extras"
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted
Coyotes have been in abundance this winter, and I haven't even tried to kill any. But while making routine checks outside for hogs, 7 of these canines met their fate during the past few months. Here are pictures of 6; the other was ridden with mange and in poor physical condition.

Along with about 18 coons taken out, this should help ground-nesting birds and fawns at least somewhat this Spring.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
This is the 1st picture I took of the coyote that is 2nd from the top above. I hate flash pictures (including this one), and since the carcass still hadn't been hauled away at daylight, I decided to snap another -- and better -- picture.

Ugly original ...

A little better...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice collection Bobby.
Do you save the fur?
Looks like some decent pelts from this angle.

Good for you. Nice photography too.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Thanks. No, I didn't save the pelts. They were worth very little this year. I should have saved the ears for bounty as they are $5 a set but didn't think I'd kill 7 in such a short amount of time. Would have paid for some of my loading supplies. Smiler

Here's hoping all is well with you, George.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
you've been a busy boy!

Good on ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You must b e over run with them.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I used to trap and call heavily in the area and helped keep numbers in check a bit, but my health hasn't allowed that for years now. No one else around here does that anymore -- or at least not enough to make a difference.

Supposedly a state trapper was working several properties around here the entire month of February, but I think he just sent them our way LOL. Smiler

A female I shot March 9th was already heavy with young, so that one bullet took out several future 'yotes.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
You didv a good job Bobby. This winter I saw more coyotes with excellent pelts than I have seen in a few years.

The fur market went to hell and the younger hunters simply aren't interested in doing that much work for what pelts bring, if you kind find a place to sell them.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thieves gotta die!

one from last Thursday eve.

Has a pretty nice pelt. Thinking about trying to do a coon skin cap for my 9 year old grandson.

ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I agree, GWB! Hey, how do you like those traps? I am an old-school coil-spring kind of guy but am curious about these, especially degree of difficulty in setting as my hands don't cooperate so well most of the time. Would appreciate your thoughts on them.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They make one that is easy to set. I have never tried one. I prefer the Coon Dagger. I use a screw driver as a lever to set em! Not a true "dog proof" as it can be set push or pull. Push or pull work best! Texas does not care some States do. If you have time corn for bait under a feeder. The cheapest HEB sardines work great but stink up the trap and you have to put down ant poison. Cat food that is mostly fish is the best compromise. I went two for four sets Saturday night!

Posts: 752 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Live Oak. I appreciate the info. I actually have a couple unused bottles of lure left from the last time I trapped. They are 12+ years old, but I opened one of them recently, and it still had the same combo of a sweet & gland-type smell that proved to be lethal on coons back then.

I am not worried about the traps being dog-proof. Our Charlie died last month, and there are no dogs anywhere around here. I still have my old coil-springs, stakes, etc. If our twins don't take any more interest in it, I'll probably look for someone who'd want it all and give it away some day.

This is an old picture from the few days that I was able to get out and trap. Sold several batches of fur that season. Been a long while and sure do miss it. The extra $$ didn't hurt, either. Smiler

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
I agree, GWB! Hey, how do you like those traps? I am an old-school coil-spring kind of guy but am curious about these, especially degree of difficulty in setting as my hands don't cooperate so well most of the time. Would appreciate your thoughts on them.

If you use the setting tool, the dog proof traps are not too hard to set.

https://www.flemingtraps.com/d...WEAQYAyABEgJcLvD_BwE

There is another option that anyone can set.

Take a look at the Coon Collector Coon Cuffs. I did not picture them as mine are all rusted up. I just ordered in a half dozen.

https://www.pcsoutdoors.com/6p...ontrapmadeinusa.aspx

They work like Chinese finger cuffs. Soft set but the harder the critter pulls the tighter it locks.

here is a vid.

ya!

GWB

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Thanks, GWB. I appreciate it!

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobby,
can't get it to post but there is a 9 minute vid on this titled "The DHDP a raccoons worst nightmare" which gives a a detailed look at the trap.

ya!

GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
well, it did post!

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I admire the hell out of that Missouri boy's coon trap.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wonder if it would work on feral cats.

Sure have one I'd like to get rid of.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote