New
Find
Notify
Tools

colt 45
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
any one use this caliber hunting hogs in either a rifle or pistol?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I use it as a backupp... read ;;; jeffe on his hands and knees and left the shotgun at home, following up on mine or a buddy's hog::::

I think a rifle, with HEAVY casts at 1300 or so (less than 454 power) would ROCK in a trapper

jeffe

Posts: 38510 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Always first do a search, the answer may already there. Search under 'Handgun Hunting' for recent comments by Fiftydriver, very educational !!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have used the 45 Colt often on hogs with both handgun and rifle. The 250 gr. hard cast bullet works fine with both. That's a lot of lead, even at 1100 to 1200 fps, and will usually penetrate thru most 100 to 150 lb. porkers.

The 300 gr. is, no doubt, better on the larger animals. I have put down over a hundred hogs of all sizes with the 45 Colt in an animal control situation.

Geoff

Posts: 620 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aloha Geoff, Glad to see you finally made it online. What do you think of AR? Great place is it not. For those of you who dont know him Geoff works with Niihau Safaris among others. Geoff probaly gets to shoot more pigs in a year than most of us get to do in a lifetime. He is a great source of information on hog hunting. See you in a couple of weeks my friend.

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote