THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HOG HUNTING FORUM

Moderators: Whitworth
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

spearing wild boar (Cold Steel Boar Spear)?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
We are dove hunting this July in Argentina. The outfitter has offered a day of wild boar hunting but they are worried about injuring the dogs using a gun or a bow. They run the boar with Argentinian dogos who "catch and hold" the boar while the hunter slips for kill with a knife. I was thinking that to use a spear might be a little bit safer as I have never seen this done.

I searched the internet and found "Cold Steel Boar Spears" with a cost of $60 including the handle. I do not know if this is a real "tool" that I could use to kill a 200-300 pound Russian wild boar or if it is meant as a decoration on the wall of a trophy room.

Thanks.

###########################################################

http://store.knifecenter.com/pgi-ProductSpec?CS95BOA

CS95BOA Cold Steel Boar Spear 82.5" Overall

Specifications: Boar Spear
Weight: 1.25 lbs. (spear head only)
4.25 lbs. (with shaft)
Steel: SK-5 medium carbon
Length: 18 1/2 " (spear head only)
13 1/2 " (blade)
82 1/8 "(overall with shaft)
Shaft: 71" x 1 1/2" Premium Ash w/ dark walnut stain
For 200 years, the boar spear reigned supreme as the staff weapon of choice in the forests and often the battlefield as well. Only the invention of reliable firearms in the 18th century could fade its renown. It would have disappeared altogether if not for the decadent tastes of the Northern European nobility. To them, hunting with a firearm was a pale substitute for the thrill of hand to hand combat in the forest with nothing but a spear.

Now you too can enjoy the same excitement with Special Projects modern recreation of this classic spear. Cold forged out of medium carbon SK-5 steel and heat treated to a spring temper, the massive blade is designed to flex under stress instead of breaking. It has an overall length of 181/2" and weighs a whopping 11/4 pounds! What's more, each blade comes fully sharpened to a utility edge and features a sturdy reinforcing rib to make it as stiff as possible for maximum penetration. The spear head comes with an extra stout premium ash shaft.

Current Order Information:
Our Price: $59.95

Posts: 276 | Location: hendersonville, nc 28739 | Registered: 18 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All Cold Steel products are real tools.Give them a call for thier DVD "proof" (it's free) and see that (and other) spears being used ( punching through car doors etc.).I'm taking mine to Texas this weekend, hoping to get a chance to use it.

Posts: 89 | Location: south central kansas | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I look forward to hearing your results. I have need of a boar spear, and I've had such good luck with other Cold Steel products that I'd like to buy one of theirs if possible. Good hunting, Okie John.