New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 22-250 for Hogs
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I personally have not tried it, but my dad shot a big old boar one time with a 22-250 loaded with Nosler Ballistic Tips. He tried his best to put the first shot right in the ear canal. After chasing the hog up into a canyon and shooting it eight times, he decided this was a mistake.

The hog charged him and put him up a tree. My dad was 70 years old at the time, but he said he remembered how to climb a tree real quick. His rifle was on the ground and he was in the tree. As luck would have it the hog bled to death shortly.

I do not think he will try that again anytime soon.

Get a bigger gun, R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
muzzleblast525
only if you`re capable of 100% sure brain-shots you should use that caliber. If your answer should be yes, o.k., then go to the range and post small targets (max 2") at different distances and hit them with field positions with your first shot. If you miss only one, that would mean, that you severly wounded an animal, that will starve to death or get eaten alive by maggots (hit in the jaw). It will have severe pain till then. I`m a decent shot, but I haven`t met ANYBODY passing that test! There were some hunters vaunting themselves with head- or neck-shots on roe deer... Just try it and post the results of the first 20 rounds. The alternative would be to use a bigger gun

Greetings

Wolfgang

Posts: 33 | Location: Germany | Registered: 16 June 2002Reply With Quote