Find
Notify
Tools

Re: No more pigs with 300wby
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted
I think you're right about the 300 being too fast for meat hunting at hog ranges but a 30-30 would ruin the loin and both shoulders on that particular shot too. Same for shotguns...been there done both.
I hate those bad hair days! When you set up the 30-30 think about good irons or a 1.5 scope. Neck and head shots get sooo much easier!

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
a 30-30 would be good, but a 8x57 is just about perfect for a hog gun. Even the anemic US loads work great. You can buy a decent M98 for $100 at a gunshow.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doug...
At the shop where I trade I once noticed a used .300 mag of some ilk on the shelf and asked about it. The counter guy told me the story: a fellow had bought it elsewhere for hog hunting and traded it in for a 30-30. Seems the magnum bullet blew up on the gristle plate and, as the hunter was dodging the irate boar, his guide dropped it cleanly with a 30-30. Bullet placement on hogs is critical, but some bullets are more forgiving than others, and the 30-30 is a good solution. Good choice and happy for you that your bride likes wild pork !

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote