New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting afternoon
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
While doing a few chores around the place I heard dogs barking. Listening for a moment I realized they were on my land and getting closer. I grabbed my frankenmauser Whelen and went to investigate, my old Lab mix dog falling in behind me. As I got closer the squealing started, telling me in no uncertain terms a hog was involved.

When I found the source of all the rumpus there were four dogs on one young boar, three hounds and a pit bull. The dogs, when they saw my old lab, immediately let the hog go and headed for my dog with obviously bad intentions. As the hog was running off I quickly shot him and slammed home another round to deal with the errant hounds, but luckily (for them) they decided to vacate my property in all haste.

I hit the young boar a little far back, but he went down and never even moved. The closeup of the ear is where the pit bull was chewing on it.
https://postimg.org/image/hdetwd373/
https://postimg.org/image/97wry7mnz/
https://postimg.org/image/p65hoc1gf/

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Glad your dog didn't get hurt and nice shooting.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Glad your dog is OK! We have people in this area who insist on trespassing all over creation while running hogs. It irritates me to no end. They have no respect for fences, for livestock (often-times the poorly-trained dogs start chasing area cattle) or the premise of private land ownership.

A few years ago, one moron said it was OK for him to disrupt the entire area during deer season because they were following a dry creek. In Texas, a small creek is not public property and affords no access without permission, and secondly, that was a stupid thing to do considering how many folks hunt deer. Unintended as it may have been, he could have wound up in the backdrop of someone's shot -- a situation where the hunter would have expected no one to be in the area.

Twice our dog Charlie was the victim of attacks from so-called "hog dogs." He was ultra-friendly, never aggressive and wouldn't fight back. I hated to do it, but there was only one way to end those 2 situations.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Many of the ranchers where I have hunted in Texas have asked me to shoot any wild dogs, coyotes, or cougars I may see. They do not like free running predators.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I'm a dog lover, but I have a lot of calves on the ground this year and if I see those dogs anywhere near them it's triple S time.

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
We have people in this area who insist on trespassing all over creation while running hogs. It irritates me to no end.

Do not feel like the "Loan Arranger " Bobby or Hogfarmer, that is a statewide problem and folks up in this area are dfamn quick about calling the GW's and reporting those activities.

Some of those guys really don't get it that there dogs have no more right to trespass then they do.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
hog farmer-

I forgot to say "congrats" on the hog. That's a unique coloration on the spotted boar. We don't see many like that around here.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bobby, and yep, I'd say the hogs in my area are 90% black, 8% red and 2% spotted. Nothing scientific about my estimates, just my opinion based on years spent in the woods.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Next time shoot the dogs first!
Especially if they're headed for yours.
Too late this time.
You can get the hog later generally.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
Next time shoot the dogs first!
Especially if they're headed for yours.
Too late this time.
You can get the hog later generally.

George

You're probably correct in your assessment, but it's really hard for this old hog hunter to bypass a shot at a hog. However, the miscreant canines now have one strike in a game consisting of two strikes.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Could the dogs be wild rogue dogs? Seem pretty wild to want to attack a domestic dog. Just curious if it is possible to differential between a working dog and a wild one. Wild dog heading towrds my dog = dead wild dog(s). Protection of life and property deal.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Could the dogs be wild rogue dogs? Seem pretty wild to want to attack a domestic dog. Just curious if it is possible to differential between a working dog and a wild one. Wild dog heading towrds my dog = dead wild dog(s). Protection of life and property deal.

They were too well fed, plus they were the typical hog hunting pack. Hounds to trail the scent and a pitbull for when they catch up to the hog. That being said, don't confuse them with the typical family pet dog. Whole different animal, a lot more aggressive.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the mini-lesson. I am the wiser.
Nice shot.

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a comment here but in this area we have folks that drive the dirt roads with 4 to 6 dogs in the back of their pick ups, complete with the vests.

Once the driver spots some hogs they pull up right next to the fence and start turning the dogs loose, does not matter that they or their dogs do not have permission to be on the property.

It is a problem all across the state.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
If I had land there, I think I would be contemplating to draw a line at 30-40 yards and if the dogs cross it boom. Got to protect life and property. Then again, I don't live there. So, there might be a fine legal line I don't know about. Y'all be safe. Git dem hogs!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here, the line is at the fence, once ANYTHING crosses over or under the fence it is on Private Property.

If the owner of the dogs do not have permission to cross the fence, neither do the dogs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok Randall. When it does happen, what do YOU do about it?

Here in CO when asking permission to call coyotes or hunt other things. Many times we've been told by ranchers: "there's dogs running with 'em, shoot the dogs first". So we have the few times we've had the chance.

Funny thing back about '98 seeing a medic at Denver VA. He knew I called coyotes and asked if I still did and if I got down by the Huerfano Butte." "sometimes why?" "I own some land there and last month a rottweiler was with a pack and met me at the gate and wouldn't let me out of the truck, i didn't have a gun. Sure would appreciate if you'd fix that problem for me". "I'll try Tom".

Made a special drive there to check it out. Sure thing, I was ready to shoot when i drove up. Here they came real nasty rotty. I mailed his collar to Tom without even a note. He contacted the owners there in Denver. They'd stopped to p, and let the dog out to go. He took off and wouldn't come back.
Problem solved.

Seems dogs get turned loose a lot by folks that don't want 'em any longer. One of the first things they learn is killing calves.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
George, when I was a kid growing up in the 50's and 60's, and up until about 1990, roughly my first 40 years of life, in this part of Texas, I could get permission to hunt rabbits/varmits/doves and ducks on about 2/3rds. of the properties in this area.

There basically were no hogs or very few and it was before Competitive Deer Hunting took off.

Now with a few small exceptions, hunting of any kind is tied up into Annual Leases, many of them run from April 1 of to March 31 of the next year, and you best not be caught on any those properties with a firearm unless you work for the landowner.

The way it is usually handled in this area is that there is basically an "Unorganised" Neighbotrhood watch. Most of us or all of us have cell phones and have enough numbers stored including the local GW's and we know pretty well who is supposed to be in the area and who isn't and none of us are one damn bit bashful about following anm unknown vehicle and if necessary making contact with the driver to see if they need help finding some one or some property and then we pass the word around or if we can get their license plate number, phoning it ionto the GW and letting him run it thru the computer.

Course when you run on to a small caravan of a pickup with 4 to 6 dogs in the back end with fighting vests/collars on, with one or two newer pickups or SUV's with two or more people in each vehicle following fairly close behind, driving the dirt roads the last couple of hours of daylight checking out the wheatfields, it is a pretty safe bet that they aren't on a "Nature Tour"!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted 11 March 2018 19:44 Hide Post
George, when I was a kid growing up in the 50's and 60's, and up until about 1990, roughly my first 40 years of life,

Kid for 40 years growing up?

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote