Find
Notify
Tools

A Boar before sundown...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted
The She-Wolf and I got back from running errands in Abilene this afternoon with enough daylight left for me to change boots and head out to check on the cows before I lost the light entirely. The cows were doing fine (Lord, we need rain badly...amen) so I opted to take a bit of a drive with the hope of catching a coyote out in the open. With that in mind, my little Sako L461 in .223 rode across my lap.

Rolling the big Kubota UTV along the edge of one dry dusty field, I looked up just in time to see a big black boar break cover about 175 yards ahead of me. As I stopped the rig and cycled a round into the chamber, the old boy stopped broadside and threw his head up, looking in my direction. While he was wondering what the hell I was doing in HIS territory, I put the crosshairs on the top of his shoulder and mashed the trigger. Proving once again that a little bit in the right place can get the job done, the hog went down in a cloud of dust.

Now there's no way a knife of mine is gonna get anywhere near this fragrant devil, so I'll just employ his proteins as coyote bait!

Well, the evening didn't materialize exactly as planned, but I still figure that it goes into the books on the "plus" side of the ledger...

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 613 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Nice bruiser hog.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you take em when you find em! Nice pig! I hope one makes a mistake tomorrow night for me. My bullet will be a little bigger!!

Posts: 752 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Good shooting on a nice boar...congrats!

What load are you using?

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
Thanks all!

Live Oak, I hear ya...and if I'd known I was gonna run into this one, I'd had a bigger bullet too!

Bobby, this was just a factory 55 grain Hornady Spire Point. Remember that I was hoping to bust a coyote, not anchor this fella! Oh well, it worked...better to be lucky than smart, I guess!

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 613 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Another example of the wisdom of being prepared.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good on ya!

ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
this was just a factory 55 grain Hornady Spire Point.

The regular 55 Hornady seems to hold together better than most .22 centerfire bullets. I know some old timers who swear by them for deer.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote