Find
Notify
Tools

eliminating the competition
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted
Finally felt decent enough to take a little midnight stroll last night, and while there were no hogs to be found, the 'coons were again raiding the protein feed for the deer. In the drought we are having, the deer need every little bit of help they can get.

So I elected to pop another 3 of the masked bandits. The best-looking one got his mug photographed.

If nothing else, it's good practice for deer season... Big Grin

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting, Bobby!! Last time I was down at the ranch I got 8 one night just riding around in the Polaris with my 5 y.o. daughter. They're taking over it seems!!

On another note, I'm sorry to hear you're having health issues. Hopefully it's nothing too terribly serious!!?? Feel better soon thumb!

Regards,
Scott

"....but to protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not of soundness of heart."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 466 | Location: Just west of Cleo, TX | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobby, I have never been really appreciative of the Contender as a rifle till I put a thumbhole stock on mine and now it is awesome. The standard TC stocks place my finger in the wrong place but my Fagen thumbhole sets my hand up perfectly. The only 23 inch barrel I have is in 22 rimfire and it gets all my coon hunting done. My lease is plagued with the feeder damaging, corn eating pests, I have killed 60 or so this year.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Rick-

Sounds like they are pretty thick in your area, and they can sure polish of lots of corn and protein in a hurry -- not to mention damage feeders, etc.

As to the stocks, you are absolutely right: The right stock can make a world of difference. For me, the factory stocks are too low for the eye to align properly with the scope. And the length of pull is a bit short as well.

And now, I understand the bean counters at TC now have shaved off yet another 1/4" off Encore furniture. Roll Eyes

The top picture is how my 26" MGM barrel in 6.5 Bullberry originally looked, and my 7mm Bullberry wears a similar setup. But in the middle picture is a buttstock from www.highplainsgunstocks.com, and while it is not a thumbhole, I REALLY like it. The only thing I did is switch out forends as the fit is very important to me. In the bottom photo is one made to my specs by TC Dave on the Specialty Pistols board. Outfitted as such, the 6.5 BB fits me to a "t," and when I am serious about putting bullets exactly where I want them, the Contenders are generally what gets pulled out of the safe.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote