Tools

Re: Texas Feral Hog Weights?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of CaptJack
posted

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted Texas for over 40 years. First East Texas and now South and Central texas. I personaly have never seen a 'truly' feral hog that ever weighed over 300lbs. I have heard of a few, but never seen one. A friend once showed a picture of a 250lber that he had shot. It was in the back of a rather high pickup. he and a friend had loaded it by themselves. No Way!! I have killed enough 125lb ones, my favoeite size, to know that this pig weighed about 150. I'm not calling anyone a liar, or do I want to start a pi$$ing contest, I would like to know how many of you have killed a free ranging feral pig over 300lbs. capt david

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
capt dave,

The largest boar that I have shot was 280lb(hung on a scale). Traped a 272lb boar, some 200-230lb of all types. However a neighbor shot a 405lb barrow near me.(aslo put on a scale) he was very big and very black, lots of snout. I did get his tusk, nice size but not giant.

The big ones are not real common and not worth a hoot for eating, but they are fun to get. I agree with you about the 125lb size as the best for the table.

Hog Killer

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is rare to shoot one over 200 lbs. anywhere I have hunted them in So. Texas...Granted they look big and feel heavy, but the scales bring one back to reality..Same with deer and elk I've noticed...

Not saying that they don't get bigger, just the big ones are the exception to the rule...

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Come now fella's...were talking about TEXAS! Everything is bigger in Texas-hell I've seen 2 day old piglets that I swear would weigh 200+!!

Ok, seriously-I know of 1 verified hog that weighed over 300(don't remember the exact weight) shot out by lake ala henry-wild life biologist confirmed the weight-There is also some folks out of Paducha who run an outfit-they have several picks of 3-500lb hogs on thier web site-not sure about the accuracy of thier ads or even if they are true Feral hogs, but they sure look HUGE!