THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HOG HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hogs, Warthogs, Wild Boars, Javelinas Hunting    Tularemia found in hogs in Bell,Coryell,and Crosby counties,Texas.

Moderators: Whitworth
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tularemia found in hogs in Bell,Coryell,and Crosby counties,Texas.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of AR-Patriot
posted
Researchers at Texas Tech university found that 15% of the 130 ferral hogs they were testing for Brucellosis had the bacteria Francisella tularensis which causes Tularemia,also known as Rabbit Fever.The A strain can be lethal to humans.This information was released Jan 24,2011.
Rubber gloves,Face mask and thorough cooking are always called for when dealing with wild game,especially feral Hogs.
Jim

"The tree of Liberty,from time to time,must be replenshed by the blood of Patriots and Tyrants."
Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 50 | Location: Proctor,Texas | Registered: 27 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
This is always a problem and all wild hogs should be handled wearing gloves. I know most folks don't.

I keep this posted in a pinned thread at my shop:

Do feral hogs carry disease?
In general, diseases from wild hogs do not pose a significant threat to humans; however, some diseases can be transmitted to livestock and wildlife. It is important to keep all livestock vaccinated, especially where large feral hog populations are concentrated.

Various diseases of wild hogs include pseudorabies, swine brucellosis, tuberculosis, bubonic plague, tularemia, hog cholera, foot and mouth disease, and anthrax. Internal parasites include kidney worms, stomach worms, round worms and whipworms. Liver flukes and trichinosis are also found in hogs. External parasites include dog ticks, fleas and hog lice.

What is pseudorabies and swine brucellosis?
Pseudorabies, also known as "mad itch" is a swine herpes virus that may affect the respiratory, nervous and reproductive systems. Despite its name, it is not a rabies type disease but derives its name from the symptoms similar to a rabid animal. It is transmitted primarily through breeding but may also to be transmitted through respiratory secretions of the infected animal. Infected adult swine typically develop flu-like symptoms whereas young pigs can have severe respiratory and digestive symptoms and ultimately die. Pseudorabies poses no threat to humans but may be fatal to domestic livestock and pets.

Swine Brucellosis is an infectious, bacterial, reproductive disease that can cause abortion, low conception rates and other problems. It is transmittable to humans, known as undulant fever, and causes flu-like symptoms such as fever, chills, aches and pains. It is treatable with specific antibiotics.

How do I keep from contracting diseases?
Texas Parks and Wildlife Department recommends all hunters use disposable plastic or rubber gloves when field dressing or cleaning wild swine. Bury or burn the gloves and entrails and then wash your hands with soap and hot water. And finally, make sure the meat is thoroughly cooked.

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thenie Meanie
posted Hide Post
...and lets not forget to keeep an eye on our kid that are sooo good at touching, poking and picking up what we would never think to. Carry extra gloves if they want to touch and dissect. Watch them wash their hands up to the elbows, search their backpacks for mystery smells and by all means check their pockets before you throw their clothes in the laundry! God gives them to us for such a very short time to teach them by example and provide them with life skills to survive in this crazy world.

“What day is it,?" asked Pooh.
"It's today," squeaked Piglet.
"My favorite day," said Pooh.”

Posts: 63 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
So, how many of the 15% had type A? bewildered

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, are CA hogs the same? I'm wondering why I even want to hunt them now. I usually carry gloves because I don't want as much trouble washing (IF I were to actually shoot anything) but I see they're important for other reasons too.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AR-Patriot
posted Hide Post
They didn't specify which strain they had.Nor if both were found.Info came to me second hand,but I called TPWD today and the guy I talked to(general phone answerer)hadn't heard about it.But he did recomend the same things I posted earlier.Gloves,mask,and washing.Also,while it may be too cool for ticks,you should check for them after you handle a hog,as you might have picked one up and he may be willing to shart the bacteria with you!The numbers aren't super alarming,just a higher than normal.
Jim
Jim

"The tree of Liberty,from time to time,must be replenshed by the blood of Patriots and Tyrants."
Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 50 | Location: Proctor,Texas | Registered: 27 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AR-Patriot
posted Hide Post
Red,
Don't let it phsche you.this hazard exists in all hunted species to some extent.Deer can carry Lyme desease,rabies,and tularemia also.And don't forget chronis wasting desease.Just use common sense precautions.Heck,you could get AIDS from helping a stranger at a car wreck if you didn't use common sense precautions!As for why you would want to hunt them,can you say"DELICIOUS"?
And its fun and can be much more challanging than deer hunting.When was the last time you stumbled on a Deer in the woods and he tried to EAT you?!!!!
Patriot

Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
What county is Clarksville, TX in?
I had Tularemia back in the 60's. I don't recommend it!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Clarksville is in Red River County which is a fair piece from the mentioned ones. However, it is a good idea to wear rubber gloves when skinning any hog or deer. If nothing else it keeps the blood from drying out the skin on your hands.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I been wearing gloves for around 20 years now I go to the local vet supply store buy the shoulder lenght gloves put a pair of had gloves over them. Then when your done just roll them down the blood and every thing all wrapped up nicely.

Doing that way th total cost is about 20 cents per gutting.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good idea Pdog. I carry the standard ones but elbo length sound better. I've called my buddy to let him know I want in to his property to hunt when he's ready.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote