Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 300-600 lbs. hogs
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted
It all depends on what their food sources are. I have killed a Boar over 400# in crop land but, in the swamps I hunt, the biggest was a 350# Boar.

The 350# was the biggest I have gotten w/ my 357 S+W. He had 4" cutters and approx. 3" of fat all over his body. We filled a tin washtub up w/ fat off of that hog.

The big one I got in the crop land was too rank to eat so, I didnt even skin him.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
im going hunting for hogs. i plan to use a custom rifle 7mm-08 on a 700 action and 22" shilen barrel. i know the hogs don't care about all this but i state it for the accuracy of the gun. i have some 139 grain hornady interbonds loaded at 2750 fps. the shots will be from blinds on food plots and feeders. the shots will be from 100 to 300 yards. are my selections adequate. i know what the rifle and i can do. im comfortable up to 400 yards with this gun but bullet placement and shot selection is more important than saying i can shoot 300 - 400 yards. the hog deserves a clean humane kill. what do you experts think. ive never hunted hogs before.

Posts: 214 | Location: north carolina | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With that caliber, I would strongly recommend that you use the heaviest bullet weight the gun will shoot accurately, limit your shots to 200yds, and aim for the heart or neck.

The cape on a 300-600lb hog is going to take most, if not all, the steam out of that 7mm-08.

Posts: 93 | Location: Magnolia, TX | Registered: 04 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1. You ain't gonna find no 600 pound hogs. Sure, every now and then somebody comes up with a real whale, maybe as much as 750 or so, but those are the rare, wily old boars which have had access to abundant crops like soybeans and corn and have eluded hunters for many years by being totally nocturnal. While there are some 300 pounders out there, they are about the equivalent of a 160 B & C Whitetail. Expect the shooters you see to run from 100 to 200. Anything over 200 is in the 'bragging' category. Anything under 100 is in the eatin' category.

2. The Hornady Interbond should provide adequate penetration for any hog you come across, and the 139 grain bullet is plenty. See the thread on Texas hogs for reports of killing hogs with a .223, and you'll have plenty of confidence in your 7-08.

3. Like 600 pound hogs, 400 yard shots are, to say the least, unusual in most hog habitat. You don't say where you're hunting, but I'll lay odds that you'll have far more shots under 100 than over 200.

Have a good hunt, and let us hear from you when you get back!

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hogs die relatively easily if hit from the front shoulder forward, hit them very far back behing the shoulder and they will almost certainly not be recovered. The 7-08 with IBs is adequate for every hog in Texas and probably the rest of the world.

There are a helluva lot more 170 B&C (and probably 180) class whitetails in Texas than there are 600 pound or larger wild hogs. As Stonecreek said, most of them will weigh between 75 and 225, with the occasional boar going over 300. And that's the upper end of what is normally found. Unlike what he said, even the biggest boar makes excellent eating IF he doesn't stink when shot (which they almost never do, that is usually the result of dogging them) and IF the carcass is processed quickly and cooled down and handled correctly. We just barbecued a whole boar hog whose live weight (well, whole dead weight ) was a WEIGHED 205 and he was incredibly tender and good. Most people grossly overestimate wild hog's weights.

If you aim for the front leg about a 1/4 to a 1/3 of the way up the body you will have a dead hog every time, usually with a heart shot. Neck shots are good, as are between the eyes if they're facing you. Hogs leave very poor blood trails in most cases. If you think you hit him well, be sure to search at least 50 yards in the direction he went.

There are a lot of put and take hog hunts in Texas, I hope you are going on a real one, but they taste good either way.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WELL YOU CAN TELL IM A ROOKIE AT THIS HOG HUNTING. THANKS FOR THE INFO. IM FROM N.C. AND IM GOING TO A LODGE IN SOUTH CAROLINA. THEY HAVE FOOD PLOTS AND FEEDERS SET UP TO HUNT OVER. I WANT TO TRY SOME STAND HUNTING ON HOGS FIRST BECAUSE I LIKE TO TEST MY SHOOTING SKILLS AND BULLET PLACEMENT. THEY TELL ME TO GO ON A HUNT WITH HOUNDS AND I WOULD BE HOOKED. IM NOT READY FOR THAT YET. I FIGURED THAT 300-600 POUND HOGS SOUNDED LARGE. THE GUIDE NEVER SAID HOW BIG HIS HOGS WERE AND I DID NOT ASK. A FRIEND SAID HEY THEY GOT SOME 300-600 POUND HOGS OUT THERE. THATS WHY I POSTED THE 300-600 NOTE. I KNEW SOMEONE WOULD CLEAR THE AIR WHO HAD PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE. I GOT A TACT DRIVING 7MM ULTRA MAG I CAN USE ON EM IF I NEED IT. HA!HA!HA! OVER KILL THERE.

Posts: 214 | Location: north carolina | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote