THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HOG HUNTING FORUM

Moderators: Whitworth
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

458 SOCOM vs HEAVY BOAR (pics story etc)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cold
posted
so at about 630 am, went off in search of turkey while my huntin buddy was sittin in his stand for opening deer weekend. I wanted to shoot a boss tom witht he 458, just cuz well, im working my way through the animal kingdom with it at present....anyways, this rather stout sucker ran across the road i was slowly strolling down, and I thought, well, if oppertunity should present itself.....then I will take it by the tusks, so to speak...anyways stalked to within 50 yards, found a good out laying tree branch, called it my rest and let loose, smack right front of the sholder. not where i wanted, big squeeled and ran off....I thought shit i misssed. I havent missed with it on hogs yet, F&^% i broke the streak....well...I get to the cacti where he was and HOLY LORD, it looked like murder all over...

So i follow the clearly present blood trail/masacare and there he lay!

more from the weekend to come...we shot tons, but I dont have the energy now to go over it all

stay tuned

Posts: 221 | Location: SEC | Registered: 15 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Nice boar. Here are the pictures -- you had some extra information in the image URLs that was keeping them from showing up:

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Looks like top of heart shot. Explains blood trail. What kind of bullet?

What kind of scope? Looks like way overkill for a 200 yard gun.

I've got a 50 beowulf and have always wondered about the Socom. Right now trying to shave weight on the gun so its truly a handy rifle.

Thanks,Jeff

one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a cool hunt, nice hog! Nice rifle too.

Is it common to be able to hunt in a t-shirt during November where your from?

---------------------------------

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NBHunter:

Not to answer for Cold, but we had a very warm weekend. I think it was 86 degress F yesterday afternoon here.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of THellURider
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NBHunter:

I'm the "hunting buddy", it hit 90 F in West Texas this weekend. It kinda sucked for deer, but I got one anyways. However, yea it does happen. As they say in Texas, "If you don't like the weather, just wait a minute."

~Marcus

Posts: 47 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
Looks like fun, wher was the hunt?

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cold,

That like one of them there "faint" blood trails. Big Grin

Shoot you cloud have swam after that one!

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Nice gun,i read about the 458socom and i believe is ideal in our culling operations ,i used fals308 a lot but the ar15 is handier and the caliber just ideal congratulations .juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6367 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Cold, what do the balistics look like on that round? Just curious as to the bullet weight, velocity, etc. Very cool! Oh, and a nice hog to boot.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:
Cold, what do the balistics look like on that round? Just curious as to the bullet weight, velocity, etc. Very cool! Oh, and a nice hog to boot.

From
TeppoJutsu.Com (.458 Socom FAQ):

What type of velocity can I expect?

Velocity will vary from rifle to rifle and obviously also depend on the bullet that is being loaded. However, some of the typical velocities from a 16" barreled upper are as follows:

300 grain bullet – 1800 to 2000 fps (higher has been recorded)

400 grain bullet – 1600 to 1800 fps

500 grain bullet – 980 to 1300 fps

600 grain bullet – 1000 fps

one of us
posted Hide Post
Anybody besides the seller/maker of these have any REAL experience with one? I've considered one for pigs, but have heard of feeding problems. I'm not trying to stir the pot here, but if I wanted a semi-auto single shot, I might as well stick with the various forms of .45-70s that I have.

BTW, nice pig, entirely different country than we have up here....all that cactus with a rattlesnake under every other one, you guess which. Smiler

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always recommend a 45-70 for pigs ,like my 1885 but if there are a bunch of them the 458SOCOM would be nice !Tell us more about the experiences with the gun.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
Anybody besides the seller/maker of these have any REAL experience with one? I've considered one for pigs, but have heard of feeding problems. I'm not trying to stir the pot here, but if I wanted a semi-auto single shot, I might as well stick with the various forms of .45-70s that I have.

I think Tiggertate has one and Browningguy has a Beowolf. There have been a few posts in the Big Bore forum.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I'm using my SOCOM this weekend on the bubba hog hunt. May take an Eland, too. I'll give a report later. The only feeding problems I had were handloading issues common to a lot of auto-loaders. Once I worked up the right pressure/time curve the gun cycled flawlessly.

I would humbly suggest if you want one, get it from Teppo Jutsu. Not to knock other makers but you won't get better support than can be had from Marty (who also posts here as MartyW). The round is also his creation.

He built an AR upper for me and rebarreled my EtronX in 458 SOCOM. The EtronX gets a supressor early next year and with no action noise, may become the world's quietest rifle Cool.

Cold was in on the AR upper buy and was single-handedly responsible for the excellent Vortex 45 caliber flash hiders. Thanks for that, Cold.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the ballistic info Charles!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Sad to say the ranch we went to frowned on hunting with semi-autos so I left the SOCOM at home. After we got there it was like..."oh, we didn't mean YOU guys, just the SKS crowd" so I left it for nothing. OTOH, Browninguy (who didn't get the memo) shot a coyote with his 50 Beowulf. Damn hard on coyotes; knocked all the damn fur off it Big Grin

Before:

After:

There's more about it in the big bore section.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote