New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not much of a pig
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Went to my place Friday night, there's been a mud crusted boar coming to the feeder. Some how he has my number and has not slipped up and come in when I am there! Went to a friend's place Saturday night about 09:30 three came in. Two were lined up broad side. The back one was slightly lagging. Figured if I hit the front one's leg or slightly behind, I would hit the back one's neck or front edge of shoulder! When they cleared the feeder leg I sent a 400 grain .416 Hornady Interlock at them! Saw the single to the right trucking out of there and one laying in the pen! Put the rifle down to wait a few minutes. I though I saw the pig moving. Got the rifle up and the pig was rocking as if to get up! I put the reticle on the boiler room and touched another off. There was a big puff of dust and now the pig was really moving. Sent another, this one connected with something. I could tell by the jerking that it was over. Tough pig or bad shooting? With all this commotion the pig was disturbing and blood from the other. The one that was down had torn skin and a golf ball size hole in it neck just like I would suspect from a pass through bullet. I found a small splatter of lung and blood out side the feeder pen but no pig! I went back this morning, no pig! When I peeled the pig out I found a bullet jacket with out a core fully mushroomed. I never have recovered a big bore bullet before. From where it was it almost had to be a pass through. A 125 pound pig broad side just won't stop a 400 gr. 416!

Posts: 752 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Good job, good report. Congratulations.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Always good to see a dead pig, congratulations.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is not that the pig was so tough. It is that the Hornady bullet is so bad.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did it kill the pig????????

Is that not the reason why we shoot is to kill something??

Is that the first pig you have killed with that bullet?

I apologise, but I feel that too many folks complain about "Bullet Failure" after one or two experiences and I grew up under the assumption that if I fired one shot and that resulted in a dead animal, the bullet did not fail, it accomplished what I sent it to do.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's the idea Randall.
But, when one blows up on the surface then that IS a bullet failure.
Especially at 200yds on a rib shot cow elk.
Blew ribs out but didn't enter the near lung. Perfect hit. 180gr C/L.

How many million elk have 180gr 30 cal C/L's killed??

Makes a big difference if they go thru and do the job. When they do, I'm happy.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's the first pig I have shot with the .416 Hornady Interlock. There are just too many variables here. I am wondering out loud what might have happened. I am not understanding all that went on here but I doubt it was bullet failure. The more I look at the jacket I recovered I think it skipped on the sand (low shot) then went 3/4 the width of the pig and ended up near the gapping hole. I have done twofers before. Between bullet and bone the second pig had gapping holes like this one! I have had pigs running dead with a .510 cal 570 grain Woodleigh! I will just have to practice more till I get the one shot one dead pig down!

Posts: 752 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
But, when one blows up on the surface then that IS a bullet failure.
Especially at 200yds on a rib shot cow elk.
Blew ribs out but didn't enter the near lung. Perfect hit. 180gr C/L.

Now you know WHY I use Barnes bullets!

They may not be perfect and many folks have issues with them, but since I started using them in 1996 if I put the bullet where it is supposed to go, I have never had a problem.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Without being able to see the exact angles, etc., it is hard to decipher what may have happened. You'd almost have to have a super slow-motion video to know for sure.

Bullets tend to do strange things at times, but if it indeed hit the first hog and ended up in the 2nd (without hitting anything else in between), I'd not be all that happy with the performance considering its sheer mass and intended application according to the manufacturer. Then again, I'll never judge a bullet on just one incident, either -- no matter if it's good or bad.

Bottom line: you got a hog, and that was the purpose of pulling the trigger in the first place. Big Grin

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote